Votes: 2 3.7%
  • iPhone SE 32GB $159

Votes: 52 96.3%

• Total voters

hokie45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
I am finally upgrading from my 5s! Just curious what users thought here - get iPhone 6 32gb for $199(not the 6s) or the SE 32 gb for $159. I mostly use my phone for email, pictures, and social media. Any input appreciated :) Thanks!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
iPhone SE - because it is faster and has a better camera

OR

iPhone 6 - because it has a larger screen

Personal preference what size you want, otherwise the SE being cheaper and also faster makes a bit more sense.
Agreed, but the form factor may also influence one's purchase.

Personally, I think the iPhone 6 is too large to hold comfortably, whereas the iPhone SE is wonderfully comfortable in the hand and - to my mind - is a lovely size.

Reactions: hokie45

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Agreed, but the form factor may also influence one's purchase.

Personally, I think the iPhone 6 is too large to hold comfortably, whereas the iPhone SE is wonderfully comfortable in the hand and - to my mind - is a lovely size.
Exactly, the iPhone 6 has a larger screen (and thus a larger body...) and size comes down to personal preference. Kind of what I already wrote. To me my iPhone 7 is perfect (same size as a 6), but you might be able to get used to pretty much any size (I've also owned Plus models, iPhone 4...).

Go to a store or maybe take advantage of the 14-day return window that's often provided.

Reactions: hokie45

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I suspect that the next set of phones to be dropped from support will be the 5s and 6, due to being the smallest memory (RAM) of the iPhones supported by iOS 11. Though since Apple is still selling new 6 units, they probably won't be dropped on iOS12.

Also, if you ever want to consider T-Mobile with that phone, the SE has band 12 support, the 6 doesn't.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Id choose the 6S . 6 is underpowered , but it has a 4.7 inch screen . The SE has A9 processor, but an 4 inch display.

If you prefer the 4 inch display, go to the SE
If you prefer 4.7 inch or more , buy at least an 6S

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
I am finally upgrading from my 5s! Just curious what users thought here - get iPhone 6 32gb for $199(not the 6s) or the SE 32 gb for $159. I mostly use my phone for email, pictures, and social media. Any input appreciated :) Thanks!
Not only is the SE cheaper, but its a superior device on a technical level with a better camera and better battery life vs. the 6

the 6 will be an upgrade in terms of a new design, but internally the 6 is more similar to the 5s (5s and 6 are similar in power! Similar cameras too)

the SE is similar externally to the 5s yes, but internally it is much more of an upgrade, with a much improved rear camera

Plus the SE is cheaper according to the prices you mentioned!

Go for SE

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I don't think I could go back to such small screens, but that's what happens when you start using an iPhone 6/6s/7 Plus :(. That said I would go with the iPhone SE in this case. The iPhone 6 was OK when it was new and it is still "OK", but it's a pretty old device at this point.

VincentPX

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2015
FRANCE
I don't think I could go back to such small screens, but that's what happens when you start using an iPhone 6/6s/7 Plus :(. That said I would go with the iPhone SE in this case. The iPhone 6 was OK when it was new and it is still "OK", but it's a pretty old device at this point.

I went from an Android 4 inch screen phone to an iPhone 6s and then on an 6s plus, always following the biggest one in a line up cause everybody says that bigger screen is better experience. And you know what, now i'm back on a SE ! I hesitate a lot to get one cause i thought at first that i will never ever go back on such a small screen but i was wrong. I enjoy it so much, much more than the previous ones i got for a while. Cause it's such a jewel to handle with one hand and it makes the overall experience far superior and so convenient for me. So never say "i can't go back" or such a thing ;)

Reactions: dav1dd

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Exactly, the iPhone 6 has a larger screen (and thus a larger body...) and size comes down to personal preference. Kind of what I already wrote. To me my iPhone 7 is perfect (same size as a 6), but you might be able to get used to pretty much any size (I've also owned Plus models, iPhone 4...).

Go to a store or maybe take advantage of the 14-day return window that's often provided.
Agree with the above comment.

Sam_S

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
Everywhere
I changed from the iPhone 6 to the SE a few months ago, extremely happy with that decision. The iPhone 6 was nothing but trouble for me, the iPhone SE is a tested design and works with no issues.

I will not upgrade to anything larger again, being able to use a powerful phone easily with one hand is a blessing these days!

Reactions: tr1ad

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I changed from the iPhone 6 to the SE a few months ago, extremely happy with that decision. The iPhone 6 was nothing but trouble for me, the iPhone SE is a tested design and works with no issues.

I will not upgrade to anything larger again, being able to use a powerful phone easily with one hand is a blessing these days!
I hope you'll have that choice by then, there's only so many Special Editions one can do...

Reactions: myrtlebee

Sam_S

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
Everywhere
I hope you'll have that choice by then, there's only so many Special Editions one can do...
I wouldn't care if they kept using the same device and just keep on upgrading the internals.
In my opinion I think the iPhone 7 is crap! No innovation in the last couple of years which is disappointing to see. The main reason I would want the phone would be the camera, but the top features are reserved for the 7+ which is a device I despise even more!
I am hoping that they release something around iPhone 8 launch but I doubt it.

Reactions: yep-sure

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Again, personal preference but for all intents and purposes the SE is really a 6s in a smaller frame phone. Plus it is more future proof I would venture to guess. The size of the phone you want will most likely determine your choice but I have an SE and to me it flies. My advice is go with the SE.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Grey Area

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
My company phone is an iPhone 6 and my private phone is an SE. In comparison, the 6 can feel slightly laggy at times - nothing terrible, it is perfectly usable. But I doubt this is going to get better with future iOS updates, quite the opposite.

fruitninja

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2014
Just curious: what's the cheapest way to get this 'new' budget iPhone 6 32GB in the US, unlocked? For a strange reason, not many people are into unlocked phones in your country. Or maybe many people would buy unlocked phones, but your market conditions dictate otherwise.

For a comparison, in most of the rest of the world the easiest way to get your hands on this phone is the same as with most other phones; unlocked. (Prices on the link.)