32GB iPhone news

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Nov 4, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I found this article in a blog about the possibility of a 32GB iPhone at Macworld 09. His logic is pretty good. It would make sense for Apple to wait and release it then. It's their hottest item. And if they go past their big conference and NOT roll out something new for their BIGGEST product, it would be pretty lame of them.

Read More here:

http://www.macblogz.com/2008/11/03/32gb-iphone-3g-making-its-debut-at-macworld-2009/

I predict a 32 GB at or around Macworld 09.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Interesting, but not much real substance.

Anybody who noticed the trend with the bump to 16GB can guess January for a 32GB iPhone. Plenty of us here have. So I wouldn't really call it "news."

I have also concluded that color isn't exactly the biggest deal on an iPhone since anybody with half a brain will put it in some sort of protective cover. I wish accessory people would figure this out so I don't have to remove my cover to mount it in my car, but that's a different story.

I do agree with the speculation about a cheaper iPhone model. If Apple would basically release a device that is an iPod touch that makes calls, they could make a killing and really compete in the non-smartphone market. Basically something for the people who really just need a phone to make calls, but could also be enticed to download apps. There is a massive segment of people that will pay the standard $40 for a cell phone but not $70 for the iPhone plans.

3. goobimama macrumors regular

Why would you put a cover on your iPhone? It just makes it look ugly. I've been using my iPhone (1G) without a cover for over 8 months now and it looks brand new.

The day the 32GB iPhone debuts, will be the day the 64GB iPod Touch is released. That's just how memory works.

4. pkagel macrumors regular

The iPhone is basically a Touch that makes calls in addition to taking pictures. Now, maybe a Nano that makes calls then you'd have something for the cheaper market. That could sell quite well having it just be a regular phone with the easy iTunes interface.

5. svndmvn Guest

i'm kinda sorry for the ones waiting for 32gig iPhones but I don't think we'll see any in January, I know a lot of people buying the 8Gig one and we certainly won't see 3 different iPhones being sold..too soon,maybe around June or even September for the iPod event..especially given the recent rumors or news about Apple 4Q lessening productions of iPhones
    Even though a Nano would sound awesome, at least for the times I have to send my iPhone in for repairs or replacement..remember Apple is mostly a computer company and the iPhone is first a powerful portable device,sort of an ultraportable and a phone as well..it ain't no Phone company..

6. pkagel macrumors regular

Before 2001 it wasn't a music company either but iTunes and iPod sure changed that for them. Would Apple even be a major player right now were it not for the iPod? I think a NanoPhone would be a super hit with a lot of people who don't care for the size of the iPhone nor the features it provides but do like to be plugged into their iPods.

7. svndmvn Guest

i've seen real bad mockups and you have to agree it would have to be touch screen,it would also be quite hard for it to be easy to use and "useful" with a small screen and all,I guess it would have to be what the shuffle is for iPods,less function but certainly with a screen..show me a mockup you like

8. pkagel macrumors regular

I'd think a slider would work fine. Doing a touch screen that small would be kinda hard for texting. Basically take the new Nano and throw a slider keypad underneath and you have what I'm thinking about.

I think to many of us on here are thinking of this from our point of view. Sure, we all love the iPhone but their are many people out there who want a smaller, simpler phone but still love to listen to their music. Sales of the non-Apple mp3 phones have been decent and an Apple one is bright, colors stripped down, much like the Nano is to the Touch, would sell pretty well, especially if priced down with the other phones, say 100$.

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

On the cover thing I know lots of people with iPhones here in the UK and none of them use a cover, yet lots of you guys from the US do. Maybe it is a fashion thing, or maybe we have better insurance! Who knows, but of all the naked iPhones that I know, they all still look great :cool:

10. svndmvn Guest

you know it would have to be twice as thick as nanos are now,and what about the scroll wheel? either you keep it and it's annoying when you type or browse or you lose it's functionality..
    and btw, it would be too close to the iPhone and iPod touch so I guess it would be another competitor to them,an inside one, but still, it would cost Apple money and not really more gaining for Nano iPhone sales, but that's just my opinion..
    PS Apple doesn't like keyboards and keys at all, anyone remember the first keynote comparing iPhones to their competitors? would be quite hypocritical..

11. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

It would have to be landscape texting, but how about one of these:

Attached Files:

12. svndmvn Guest

I think it would be really hard to surf the web with that..wouldn't the keyboard pretty much occupy all of the screen even in landscape mode?the solution would be smaller keys but I thought people already though the iPhone's are annoying..and no scroll wheel?as I said earlier, I really doubt an iPhone nano would have to be first a Phone and then an iPod nano...it would have to be an iPod that can also make phone calls, while the iPhone is kinda like a portable media device,or ultraportable,crippled a little,that's also a Phone, don't agree?

13. goobimama macrumors regular

The iPhone nano need not be a smaller version of the iPhone. It need not have the App Store nor does it need wifi-internet. It could very well be a touchscreen replacement for the iPod nano, with a phone feature.

14. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I answered a post that mentioned the iphone nano, completely forgetting that this thread is supposed to be about 32GB iPhone news. Sorry to go so far off topic. I'll just say briefly that no, you wouldn't be able to browse the web with it. It would fit in the hand nicely though! Anyway, it was a fun exercise! :)

15. svndmvn Guest

I thought about it a little longer and now I'm almost sure both 32gb and nano are coming in September..actually,not so sure about the 32gig part,they would have to sell 64gig iPods,either classic or touch and they would get too pricey..dunno
    Back to the nano,and sorry for the OT..iPhones have a 3.5" display and nanos 2.0", the next one will keep it or get bigger,let's say 2.5",making the nano fatter and thicker because of the features,don't know if people will like it,but whatever..the app store makes both devs and apple gain money,no reason not to offer it,no wifi?doubt it..there certainly should be some limits,but I don't know if apple should spend time on another OS..
    No scroll wheel,what made me change my mind are headphones with mic and button and the volume button on the touch,it pretty much solves your problem..so I guess iPod nanos are moving to multitouch and it would be nice for it to look like a phone or viceversa..
    Just my thoughts,sorry

16. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Every time a thread discussing future iPhone plans ends up in an inane, redundant debate about the infamous iPhone nano (and that happens quite a lot), I'm reminded of this hilarious comic:

[​IMG]

17. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

If I had insurance on my iPhone I wouldn't use a cover, but AT&T offers no insurance for an iPhone.