Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TUD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
no longer working. Stays at full brightness even when in a completely dark room. Naturally I have loaded all my contacts, music, and, etc. Since it has crashed 3 times on top of the auto brightness issue. :(

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
no longer working. Stays at full brightness even when in a completely dark room. Naturally I have loaded all my contacts, music, and, etc. Since it has crashed 3 times on top of the auto brightness issue. :(

The obvious question is, have you set your maximum brightness through Settings > Brightness > On (with slider set to less than max)

TUD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
The obvious question is, have you set your maximum brightness through Settings > Brightness > On (with slider set to less than max)

Ok... here are the details. Brightness is set @ 50%, the auto brightness is set to on. When the iPod is first turned on in a dimly lit room the screen is dimmed and when the room lighting increases the iPod brightens, BUT... when the room lighting darkens the iPod remains at full brightness (does not dim).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If it's a brand new iPod, just return it. Say it doesn't work, and ask for a new one. As long as it's within the DoA return period, they should let you.

TUD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
If it's a brand new iPod, just return it. Say it doesn't work, and ask for a new one. As long as it's within the DoA return period, they should let you.

One step ahead of you. I purchased it from Best Buy, but our local store is currently out of stock and I am approaching the 30 days. A return would be a complete PITA as reward zone certificates and gift cards were used.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
That's normal

Ok... here are the details. Brightness is set @ 50%, the auto brightness is set to on. When the iPod is first turned on in a dimly lit room the screen is dimmed and when the room lighting increases the iPod brightens, BUT... when the room lighting darkens the iPod remains at full brightness (does not dim).

That's what it's supposed to do. The iPod polls the light sensor when it wakes up and sets the screen brightness. As the brightness of the room increases, it will increase the backlight. However, it doesn't go the other way around. It won't dim it again. I find this rather annoying too. Apple experimented with having it dim the screen, but found that people were getting confused as their device constantly changed the brightness up and down.

So basically, don't worry. It's annoying, but normal :)

TUD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hmm...

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    55 KB · Views: 169

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
as has already been mentioned, if you put your ipod touch into sleep and then turn it on again it will readjust the brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.