32GB iPod Touch auto brightness

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TUD, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TUD macrumors regular

no longer working. Stays at full brightness even when in a completely dark room. Naturally I have loaded all my contacts, music, and, etc. Since it has crashed 3 times on top of the auto brightness issue. :(

2. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

The obvious question is, have you set your maximum brightness through Settings > Brightness > On (with slider set to less than max)

3. TUD thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... here are the details. Brightness is set @ 50%, the auto brightness is set to on. When the iPod is first turned on in a dimly lit room the screen is dimmed and when the room lighting increases the iPod brightens, BUT... when the room lighting darkens the iPod remains at full brightness (does not dim).

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If it's a brand new iPod, just return it. Say it doesn't work, and ask for a new one. As long as it's within the DoA return period, they should let you.

5. TUD thread starter macrumors regular

One step ahead of you. I purchased it from Best Buy, but our local store is currently out of stock and I am approaching the 30 days. A return would be a complete PITA as reward zone certificates and gift cards were used.

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That's normal

That's what it's supposed to do. The iPod polls the light sensor when it wakes up and sets the screen brightness. As the brightness of the room increases, it will increase the backlight. However, it doesn't go the other way around. It won't dim it again. I find this rather annoying too. Apple experimented with having it dim the screen, but found that people were getting confused as their device constantly changed the brightness up and down.

So basically, don't worry. It's annoying, but normal :)

7. TUD thread starter macrumors regular

8. rocktofakie3 macrumors member

Do you want it to be on Full brightness when in dark and off in alot of light?:confused::confused:

9. TUD thread starter macrumors regular

The opposite.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I believe you just need to sleep and awaken it again to readjust. Or you can do it manually.

11. telf22 macrumors regular

correct, and you dont need to return it.

12. TUD thread starter macrumors regular

You don't think so? :confused: It is already boxed up.

13. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

as has already been mentioned, if you put your ipod touch into sleep and then turn it on again it will readjust the brightness.