32GB iPod Touch - To upgrade to iOS 4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jamesnc, Aug 15, 2010.

1. jamesnc macrumors newbie

Hello, all. I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. And forgive me if this is something covered in previous posts (but I haven't been able to find information in prior posts sufficient to sate my query).

So I just got a 32GB iPod Touch (would have waited for the presumably-upcoming new model, but NC's sales tax holiday took precedent...), and I'm not sure if I should update to iOS 4.

I've read quite a few posts here and elsewhere by people having issues with iOS 4 on their 3G iPods/iPhones. Ranging from accessories not working to battery draining and crashing some apps.
    (I'm not including size-on-drive, nor apps-that-don't work-well-because-they're-not-yet-fully-iOS4-compatible-yet, as "issues," since that's just to be realistically expected).

So...should I or should I not upgrade to iOS 4?
    I'm not going to cram my iPod with scores of apps, but I do want to make use of at least one app that requires iOS 4, iBooks (unless there's another PDF-reading app that I'm unaware of...). And, as I've only just received my iPod, I have no accessories that might not work with the new iOS.

I'm just looking for opinions from people a little more experienced/knowledgeable in the area of iPods/iPhones/iOS than I am.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help.

--
    James

2. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Your iPod touch should be fine. It's just the older versions of the iPod touch and the iPhones that are having troubles. It works fine on the iPhone 3GS and the iPod touch 3rd Gen (which you have).

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Your iPod memory is the same as a 3GS, so iOS will be fine. :)

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The 3G iPhone is not the same as the 3G iPod Touch. "3G" in the iPhone name refers the 3G wireless... but the 3G iPhone is the 2nd generation iPhone. It has the same hardware as the 2G iPod Touch, and they struggle with iOS4. The 3G iPod Touch is the third gen and has the same hardware as the 3GS iPhone. They run iOS4 just fine. I have iOS4 on my 32 GB iPod Touch 3G, and it's fantastic.

5. seb-opp macrumors 6502

The 32/64GB Touches have similar internals as the 3GS, so will support multitasking. I've upgraded and there's no slowdown at all, it works perfectly.

The current 8GB is the same as the 2008 version, which is similar to the 3G iPhone. It does not support multitasking, and I assume therefore that performance will be slower, like it is on the 3G.

Hope that clears it up

6. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

There has been reports of the touch 2G 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB models being slow with iOS 4, this is because of the slower processor, less RAM, and it doesn't have as good of graphics as the 3G 32GB and 64GB touches. Upgrading to iOS 4 is meant for the iPod touch 3G because it will work just fine and fast since it has up to date components and its 50% faster Apple claims than the iPod touch 2G.

7. Old Blue macrumors member

Aloha - does the battery drain issue effect 2nd and 3rd gens when upgrading to iOS4?

8. FallenAnjel macrumors member

James, I have a 3rd gen 32gb iTouch, and upgraded just fine to iOS4. I just haven't figured out how the multi tasking works, because whenever I close an app that supports it, the app stops running. ?!?!?! Music still plays, but it did that on my 2nd gen 8gb too, the battery would just go dead faster.

9. Moocher macrumors regular

I have a 3rd gen 64GB Touch which I upgraded to iOS4. I recommend against it until they get the battery issues straightened out. This might happen with 4.1 or it might not. The problem seems to be in the multitasking, but no one is 100% sure. To me, the main advantage is the use of folders, since I only rarely take advantage of multitasking. Usually I quit all but a few core apps (clock, music, calendar) right after use because I don't trust the battery management.

Tap the home button twice to see what's "on" in the background. Hold 'til wiggle then tap the "x" to quit an app.

Mooch

10. Old Blue macrumors member

Many mahalos for your answer! :)