Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Hi. Is there a 32gb version of the new 15 inch macbook Pro with touch bar? I could not see it in there configuration from the UK site

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
That sucks. Why is that?

There are a lot of threads on this... But for a synopsis.

MBP uses LPDDR RAM, I don't believe this is currently supported in the DDR4 specification? So they use fast low power memory, in order to maximise battery life of the machine. Generally laptops with 32GB of RAM use DDR4 and have about a 2 hour battery life. Apple felt this was unacceptable, and given the niche requirement of 32GB of RAM decided to omit it. I believe Coffeelake chipsets will be able to support 32GB however, so we may see something next year or after. Otherwise nothing soon.

Of course there's the other 'opinionment' about Tim Cook, Apple going down, Sir Saint Jobs etc.

But that's generally speaking the reason. Loads of threads if you use the search function, you can peruse at your leisure.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
There are a lot of threads on this... But for a synopsis.

MBP uses LPDDR RAM, I don't believe this is currently supported in the DDR4 specification? So they use fast low power memory, in order to maximise battery life of the machine. Generally laptops with 32GB of RAM use DDR4 and have about a 2 hour battery life. Apple felt this was unacceptable, and given the niche requirement of 32GB of RAM decided to omit it. I believe Coffeelake chipsets will be able to support 32GB however, so we may see something next year or after. Otherwise nothing soon.

Of course there's the other 'opinionment' about Tim Cook, Apple going down, Sir Saint Jobs etc.

But that's generally speaking the reason. Loads of threads if you use the search function, you can peruse at your leisure.
Ok cool thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.