32gb or 64gb?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iJohnnyG, Sep 26, 2017.

1. iJohnnyG macrumors regular

So I'm thinking of getting the 4K Apple TV. Trying to decide between 32GB or 64GB, what reason would I have to get the 64GB? In the UK it's basically an additionally £20 so nothing serious, just curious if there's any reason why I should get the higher storage?

2. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

32GB unless you plan to download and keep a lot games. If you aren’t planning to use it for gaming then there is literally 0 reason to pay for extra storage. It’s a content streaming device, it doesn’t need masses of internal storage.

3. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

I had a 64 GB ATV4, but lots of useless stuff on it.

If you just care about streaming apps (Netflix, Youtube, Facebook etc) and MrMC or Infuse for playback from a NAS you will use approx. 8-9 GB. No need for 64 GB.

I went for the the 32GB because I didn't want wait 3-4 weeks. However, it's more than enough. Also keep in mind that 4K iTunes movies can't really be downloaded and gaming on AppleTV, well.... unless you love Rayman, Real Racing 3, Lara Croft GO on iOS. In the past 2 years it didn't really take off.

I guess the devs really hate the Siri controller (as well).

4. sigomez macrumors regular

If you are okay waiting...I would pay the extra 20 for double the storage. That is what I did.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

For what it's worth, I went with the higher capacity on my ATV4 and it was a complete waste of money, since I never game on mine and don't care to. That's what my PS4 is for. If you only plan on using it for various streaming services, save yourself the money and go with the 32gb model.

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

Extra capacity is useless unless you plan to game. Most apps are less than 100mb.

7. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I'll echo what others have said. I also bought the 32GB ATV4k due to the backlog of the 64GBs. I was actually on the phone with an Apple advisor for an hour yesterday troubleshooting a freezing issue I have with the Apple Music app only on the ATV4k and grilled him about storage on the ATVs. He confirmed that only apps will use the disk space and streaming services won't take up any space on the box outside of the app (I'm sure there is a little downloading, but for the most part it will only use the app size).

And since I play really no games, I'm fine with the 32GB at this point.

8. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors regular

Gone with the 64GB, only because it was in stock and pick up tomorrow.

9. appletvbob macrumors member

appletvbob

Does anyone know how much space a typical game takes? My 64GB is on backorder. Tempted to cancel and go 32.

10. ZivaD macrumors regular

ZivaD

I went with the extra sized one as I wasnt too sure if I was going to see any benefit, but surely it can't be a bad thing, my old ATV3 is a bit laggy, so a new one just seemed right.

11. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The 64gb is for people who want to accumulate lots of apps. If you just want to stream video content there is no need for the 64.

12. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

Get what is available first.
    My local store had the 64GB in stock so for $20 more I picked one up because I could.
    I don’t think I will ever come close to 32GB let alone 64GB...

13. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

It's only $20 difference. Always, ALWAYS get as much storage as you can afford - even if you never even use it.

14. Donfor39 macrumors 68000

Donfor39

64gb 4k ap t.v delivered next week.
    No idea what I’ll use 64 gig for-any apps useful in u.k.

15. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I went for the 64GB as that’s what they had in store. Haven’t filled it yet!

16. ToM7 macrumors 6502

ToM7

I'm considering this of month and a half already and don't know what to do, and which one to buy
    Because I'm afraid of the space thing if apple not gonna update the apple tv in the next 2-3 years so the 32GB should be enough?

17. Donfor39 macrumors 68000

Donfor39

I’m viewing ep8 Star Trek tv series Dolby Vision.
    Fantastic via 32gb aptv4k-go for what you deem best value-I’ve lots of storage to use if required.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

I think the higher storage would have been useful if Apple had been more aggressive in promoting the gaming aspects of the Apple TV. Unfortunately due to too many reasons for this thread, the ATV4 failed to bring in much revenue for developers and has been all but abandoned by developers beyond as a content streamer. Unless Apple makes a significant change in how they approach games, 32 Gb is plenty.
    As an honest question, can anybody here speak up if they have found 32 Gb to be constraining in any way?

19. whetrick1 macrumors newbie

I went with the 64 because it was only 20 dollars more.

20. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

All day long this. Apple support confirmed that storage is only used for apps and anything streaming is true streaming and does not store on the device. I stream a lot of 4K titles and works great. Save $20 and buy a 4K movie.

21. cynics, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

cynics macrumors G4

For $20 dollars it doesn't really matter. Very few will use over 32gb but even if you knew you weren't going over 32gb its only 20 bucks different.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    The largest game I have on my ATV4K is Asphalt8 (racing game) and its using 212 mb of storage. A first person shooter I have downloaded Modern Combat 5 is using 156 mb of storage. The largest non game app I have is oddly enough Accuweather which is using 82 mb of storage.

I don't like any of those games btw. I have a couple games I like but Sudoku is probably my favorite lol. It takes up a whopping 16 mb of storage lol.

When tvOS was first released devs were limited to 200 mb app size, additional assets needed to be downloaded in app (for example a loading screen in a game while the next level is being downloaded). Early this year Apple changed the 200mb rule to 4gb like iOS. This is pretty much exclusive to games since other apps rarely near the 200 mb mark. Plus most of the tvOS games were originally released long before the rule change so they are still coded abiding the old rules.

Like this rule changed they could change something else like allowing movies to be downloaded onto the ATV (just for example) and if that ever becomes the case many of use 32gb guys will be upgrading. And since its only $20 dollars to upgrade now....I dont think its a poor investment at least not like it initially was with the ATV4.

22. err404, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

err404 macrumors 68020

While older TVOS apps had a max download size of 200mb, this was never the full story. They are meant to download the rest of what they require after launching. This could be several GB for large games like RR3, Broken Age, etc. All the updated rules do is upfront this space so they are ready to go when first launching (and a bit less of a headache for developing).
    On the surface it would seem like 64GB would be useful, but the reality is that there are painfully few of these large apps available. And the quantity being released has dropped to almost nothing over the last year. I don’t see the new rules turning anything around.
    While the price difference is only $20, there appears to be zero benefits of going to 64GB. Notice that not a single person on this thread has actually experienced 32GB being a limitation.

23. cynics macrumors G4

This still isn't the full story though although you are right in pointing out I should have expanded.

200 mb was the max download size and additional assets would be downloaded from within the app if required. However anything over 200 mb needed to remain purgeable if storage space became low. Its still the same with except 4gb instead of 200mb. And like you mention this was done for a better user experience.