32GB RAM, (2x 16GB) Available for Sale?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skitzogreg, Oct 28, 2013.

1. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I'm looking to add 32GB RAM to my 2012 cMBP. However, I can't find any sticks (okay, haven't looked today) that are 2x16GB for notebooks. Do they even make these yet?

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

OWC makes ECC modules with this size for the MacPro. Hopefully they'll sell non-ECC modules for Macbooks some day.

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Nope. Not that I've looked into it, but I have read multiple posts here saying that the specs don't allow for a 16Gig stick in cMBP form factor. Any laptop you see, that has more than 16Gigs of RAM, have more than 2 slots for RAM modules.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I don't know that the spec doesn't allow it as much as there's just nobody making it. You'd need some dense memory chips to fit in that package size.

5. leman macrumors 604

Nope, they do not exist. RAM manufacturers were not able to build a chip dense enough which can still be sold at a reasonable price. And given that industry is now starting to move to DDR4 and newer alternatives, it looks like they will never exist.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Some people who seemed a lot closer to the subject material seemed to indicate that it wasn't possible. Perhaps that was more of a "wasn't possible at the time" But they did indicate that it would NEVER happen.

7. phaselocked macrumors newbie

That's in my opinion really overkill and a waste of money if it was available today. Who needs 32 gig ram in a laptop... (I'm saying a laptop).

8. skitzogreg thread starter macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Photoshop does. In tandem with VM's.

And Safari (lol)

9. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

Really? Find that hard to believe...

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I've come close to 16 Gigs with various VMs open. I could imagine that in another year or two, that what I am doing might push that above 16. Though I'm sure I could optimize the setup a bit better.

11. mankymanning macrumors regular

I guess it's a case of "if you have to ask then you don't need it"

There are plenty of big heavy resource intensive enterprise software VM situations that require multiple VMs and therefore lots of memory. Quite often you might need to do pre-sales demos etc that mean you have to have it all running on your laptop.

My current laptop has 32GB but the cases I actually need the full 32GB are actually reasonably few. Few enough that it isn't worth the pain of using my Lenovo over a MBP. I can also get around the edge cases a lot of the time if I put my mind to it.