iPad mini 32gb the go to?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by peacenfunk, Nov 3, 2012.

1. peacenfunk, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

peacenfunk macrumors member

Thinking about getting an iPad Mini. Is the 32gb the best to get or just the 16gb?

It would mainly be music, internet use and gaming (angry birds etc.)
    Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Update: bought a 32gb mini black and slate. Last one in HMV Birmingham. Thanks for the advice guys and girls

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Awakener macrumors 6502

Here's my theory: iPad Mini will go retina within a year, so 16gb will do until upgrade.

4. Zoddino macrumors member

Zoddino

If you have iTunes Match 16 gb for the rest in your case may be good enough :)

I just ordered a white iPad 16 gb wifi, more than enough for me!

5. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I'm with you. I want the 16, but all they had last night is the 32. I'll wait a week and hope they have a 16 so I can exchange it.

6. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

I always stick with the 16gb. When I had my 32gb iPad 2... I found myself trying to fill it up for the sake of filling it up.

Main uses: reading news feeds, surfing the web, email. Music and video all streamed (Rdio, AirVideo, Netflix, etc). With my ideal setup with apps... I have 6gb left.

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

16 is certainly large enough if you don't run large apps or games, and don't fill it with music or movies. I went on and got a 32 because I'd really like to hold onto this one for at least 2 yrs. I suspect I have way more room than needed since my ipad 3 is only 16 and I don't even use half that.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

video is what will primarily fill the space. So if you keep movies or TV on your ipad, the 32 is better. If not, 16 should be fine.

9. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I did just the opposite and exchanged my 16 for a 32. I live by the theory that you can always have extra space and be fine or not have enough and be screwed. So I always buy 32 with all my stuff. The 32 just works for me!

10. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I just looked at the Mini at the Apple store today. It's nice but too pricey for what it is. I didn't buy one, though they had them in stock. I think it should have been 16:9 like the iphone 5. That would make it better in the hand. The 16:9 ratio is also what just about all laptops (and other tablets) use and seems quite fitting for a media-oriented device. I didn't like the fact that it doesn't do 1080p video. Though it doesn't matter on the device it does matter when you want to download 1080p videos for playback via airplay. I'll wait for the next one. I just might pick up a Nexus 7 in the meantime for a more portable tablet that I don't feel too bad about if I drop it or lose it.

11. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Exactly why I went with the 16GB version.

12. scupking macrumors 6502a

I ordered a 16GB. I have the 16GB iPad 3, have all the stuff I want on it and still have 7GBs left. So 16 is good for me. Granted next time around I may go with 32 or 64 so I can put all my music on it also.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any capacity/usage question it depends on your usage. You haven't provided any such info. Decide based on your needs/wants/priorities/budget. If you're willing to share then others can actually provide recommendations that are relevant to you.

That doesn't really help. There are people with usage like that that would be fine with 16GB. There are others that would be better served with 32GB. How much music? How much space are your games using? What's your intended future use and anticipated storage need?

14. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Well I got the 16GB and after I installed the apps that I would normally use on the full size iPad... I realized I had 4GB left for music or anything else. No be safe and get the 32. I took mine back and swapped it.

There may or may not be a retina iPad mini. If you want to save a hundred bucks and book on that, then go for it. I got this thing to use as I want too and if money was the deal, I'd just stayed home.

15. peacenfunk thread starter macrumors member

Budget is £300
    Music is around 9g
    Cant say for apps really because it would be my first iPad. I'd say i have a few gb of plus apps.
    Future use would probably be internet, facetime, netflix and possible photo editing.

16. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

I personally don't understand the push to 16:9 displays, as it's consigned to be used always horizontally and becomes awkward when using in portrait. Plus browsing the internet is a real pain as you either loose a significant chunk of vertical space or your only able to view a narrow section of readable text.

17. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I was thinking of doing this. I usually get 32g in all my apple devices. But I almost consider this mini a 'throw away'. Don't worry people, I didn't mean that literally :p

18. bagelmaker macrumors member

I agree with this. I got the 32gb because when I had a 16gb iPod Touch I filled it up so quickly that I had to delete something every time I wanted to download something new. I owned that IPod for 3 years before upgrading and regretted my low storage choice the whole time.

Bottom line, who knows what your financial situation may be when the next IPad Mini comes. Or if you may discover a bunch of great apps that take up a ton of space. If you can afford the extra $100 it will be worth it for the peace of mind.

19. peacenfunk thread starter macrumors member

Update: bought a 32gb mini black and slate. Last one in HMV Birmingham. Thanks for the advice guys and girls

20. urkel macrumors 68030

That's my reasoning too.

Ideally 32GB is the sweet spot but $100 price tiers cut into resale value so drastically that its tough to justify it when it feels like an upgrade is only half a year away.

21. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Great choice! The mini is great for gaming if you are into that. 32gb is a good fit.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am barely using 16gb of storage on my ipad3. But then, I rarely game, so between pdfs, iworks and some other misc apps, 16gb would more than suffice for me (though I was paranoid and went with the 64gb version).

If you want to store music and games, probably go with the 32gb version though.

23. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Well..It's a done deal and most of us have gotten used to it on our laptops. Since It's already the laptop standard it should be the tablet standard as well. And besides, it's like the iphone 5. I don't have a problem with the longer screen. You lose nothing in landscape viewing by making the screen wider, and when turned to portrait mode it gives you a longer page and more text when reading.