330M 256 vs. 512

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abnospam, Apr 13, 2010.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Hi Everyone -

I am not really a gamer on my laptops, is there any other reason I would want 512 vs. 256? Can OS X tap that memory for other functions? I just do programming, web dev, virtual machines, email, office, etc.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Don't bother. I doubt the step up will be worth the coin. if you must know wait for the benchmarks to hit the net before buying.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

No it can't tap the memory for system functions, and no it's not worth the upgrade except for the most demanding games.

4. neteng101 macrumors 65816

See here...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2804

Basically you won't need a lot of VRAM unless you have a ton of windows on a super high resolution external display, or you're doing something like Photoshop with large images with OpenGL acceleration enabled.

5. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

6. strang macrumors member

I want to see some gaming benchmarks for the GeForce GT 330M 256 MB vs. 512 MB.

I guess the higher VRAM will allow for better AA and AF settings in games. Which is what I'd be using the MBP for. Damn it Apple made it expensive to use a MBP as a portable gaming machine.

7. newConvert macrumors regular

what about for 1080p videos, is the 256 enough?

8. macwow55 macrumors newbie

Do I get 15inch 2.53 or 2.66?

Hi Everyone.

Am new here. Am definitely getting a new Macbook Pro.

What i have decided is I want the
    15inch Size
    8GB Ram

What I can't decide, is should I get the 2.66 or the 2.53? I don't buy a new computer very often & I am more interested in real world difference versus theoretical difference here.

I will be using the computer for Photo Editing (Photoshop), Audio Editing, and Video Editing.

I DONT PLAY Computer games at all.

I don't want to be penny smart & pound foolish.

if Buying the 2.66 would increase the shelf life of the computer for the applications i use it for & would make the computer "last longer", then I would make that choice.

If the 2.66 will make no difference for what i'm doing, then id rather get the 2.53

Since I only buy a new computer when I absolute need it (ie not cuz i'm obsessed with tech specs). I want to make the right choice.

Am also wanting a computer that is not noisey.

Any advice?

Thanks!