330m clocking questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamrawr, May 13, 2010.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

I know apple has underclocked the GPUs. But how much of a difference in Mhz in a gpu's clock speed will there be a noticeable difference in performance?

And many people have said it was too weak to fully use the 512mb potential. Is it possible that when it is overclocked, it will be powerful enough to use it?

Will OC-ing the card void warranty? Will apple know if you did if you reset it's performance to default?

2. imperialnavy macrumors regular

You can give overclocking a try ;) I did it myself, i overclocked to Gpu Core 600Mhz, memory 810mhz and shader 1300mhz ;) Fallout 3 is pretty much maxed out and runs very nice, the same i can say about Crysis Warhead :)
    As for the temperatures, it never is getting above 85°C, which i must admit is incredible as the 9600m gt, not overclocked, always reached a 100°C..
    Of course both temperatures are hot, but technically the max temp is 105°C ;)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'd say that ~100MHz and you'll notice some difference. People with 320M have said that OCing made noticeable difference

Yes, but I don't know how much. I doubt it can fully use it even if it's overclocked unless you do some insane OCing

Yes, but Apple can't really bust you as it has to be done under Windows and when back on OS X, it's set to default speeds

4. FnuGk macrumors regular

my desktop with a 8800gt doesnt utilize it's 512mb at all so even using ln2 to overclocking it will still be far far away from using all 512mb

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Which software do you use to OC ?
    EDIT: ok I found this

I've just tried 3D Mark 06 with those values: 700/940/1540 with 197.16 drivers but I'm getting significantly lower result (5980) as with the default drivers (6770) :confused::confused:

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

With those values I got a higher score
    3DMark: 7900

7. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

I'm unfamiliar with those kinds of benchmarks. How much more is it from the previous 9600gt nvidia cars?

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

On my 2008 uMBP (nvidia 9600 512 VRAM) I had 5700

9. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

so... let's say the gpu became damaged from oc-ing (if possible)
    when they try to diagnose it in the apple store will they void it?
    i'm not very sure how it works. as i've never tried overclocking before.

10. kreidel macrumors member

So Crysis is running good? What is the resolution set at and how many frames per second are you getting?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you fry it, I still doubt the Geniuses will catch ya as overclocking Macs isn't very common so I doubt that Geniuses even know that you can overclock it.

IF they somehow checks it, your warranty is likely voided but this is like playing with fire