330m GT faulty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ozreth, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ever since I got my mid 2010 MBP I've felt that my 330m is faulty. I have a lot of trouble playing games that others run on high settings. Heck, I cant even play Witcher (from 2007) on high settings, and it will even stutter here and there on medium. Definitely not too demanding of a game.

Is there a way to test for this. Unfortunately since I play all of my games on the Windows side going to the genius bar isnt much of an option.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I played The Witcher on the 330m on high with maybe 2x AA and had good framerates. It's been a while since I've played it, but it was easily 45+ fps. I noticed the 330m, despite having 512GB of memory, wasn't very good at using a higher AA setting than 2x in most games.

You could try running some benchmark programs in windows and comparing them to the values listed here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.22437.0.html

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If it IS a hardware problem, testing at the genius bar will show it. If it is not, you'll have to hunt for the correct drivers, etc., for it.

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I've tried several different drivers but it didn't seem to help. Can anybody recommend a solid one?

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hm, I unfortunately don't understand much of what is on that site, although I know what benchmarking is, just have never done it. Can somebody elaborate on the best way to test this? Thanks :)

6. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ok so now I'm playing Oblivion on medium to high settings and getting around 25 fps in most areas (although i shoots up to 50-60 in some). Also sometimes distant backgrounds just turn grey. I played this game on about the same settings on my 2007 17" with no problems at all.

Went to the apple store but they can't seem to discern a problem in OSX without doing some testing that I will have to leave the computer overnight for. And of course they can't do anything in Windows (which is where my gaming problems are).

How can I go about doing benchmark tests and whatnot? I suppose I should also test out some gaming in OSX.

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Run a xbench test http://www.xbench.com/ and compare it to others with the same computer, if your GPU results are significantly lower go get it checked in if not, reinstall windows and make sure you get the right drivers.