330M on next revision of MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lemonpai, Apr 14, 2010.

1. lemonpai macrumors newbie

Do you guys think that the next revision of the MBP (late 2010/early 2011) will keep using the GeForce GT 330M? Looking back on the MBP's history, it seems that they usually keep using the same graphics card for two revisions. I hope this doesn't hold true because I'm planning to upgrade later this year hehe :p

I hope Apple starts implementing better GPUs on their laptops once Steam and other famous gaming platforms/games make it to OSX.

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

An old quote by John Carmack stated something to the fact that Apple will never embrace gaming as long as Steve Jobs is behind the wheel. Including the 330m in the newest revision seems to reinforce this assumption.

Looking at Apple's current focus on handheld devices, I would say that we likely won't see a Macbook pro refresh for a fairly long time (thinking at least another 9-10 months). Will they change the gpu? I doubt it, but it's one of the only parts that they can change in a refresh assuming the keep the i-series processors.

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

Yeah, we will probably get the 1 GB version of the 330M a year from now.

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It depends on how ****** of a company nvidia keeps being. Their rebranding/renaming thing is absolutely ridiculous, but I suppose that there's a limit to it at SOME point. I mean 2 years for the same basic card is overkill already, but can they really keep rebranding it for much longer?

5. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Nah, we'll get a GT 430M on the next revision which will basically be a rebrand of the GT 330M which is a rebrand of the GT 130M which is a rebrand of the 9650M GT which is a rebrand of the 8600M GT.

Oh, but they'll probably throw in a few more cores too to boost the performance, then fanboys here can talk about how they saw a significant increase in performance and that it was a great GPU choice by Apple, and how they are clueless about what everyone is complaining about.

3 years man. Not 2.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

my bad, that's right. may the 8 series live on forever.

7. kayloh20 macrumors regular

Valve will have to be pretty convincing considering their games aren't that graphic intensive in the first place. Probably up to the other game companies, but still, even Crysis 2 isn't coming to the Mac because of Apple's lack of enthusiasm?