330M Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrazyDesi, Aug 12, 2010.

1. CrazyDesi macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I feel stupid asking this as I should probably search it on the NVidia forums but they are currently down. I have the new Macbook Pro 15 with the 330M 512MB. My problem is that it has issues running even the simplest games in Bootcamp. I have had it freeze up on Battlefield Heroes for example. I am not sure what I need to do. Also, my youtube videos often stutter even in OS X but eventually work after a while(I am assuming that this is because it switches graphics). Is there something wrong with my graphics card? What are LaptopVideo2Go drivers? Should I install those on Bootcamp? Thank you.

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I have the same issues. I think I've narrowed it down to the Dynamic Switching (Graphic cards). Download gfxCardStatus, it'll let you choose which graphic card you use. If you set it to only Intel or only Nvidia, you won't freeze as much.

3. ceshimm macrumors member

oops, just order mine last night. same model. very sad to read this, having been looking for this feature for a long time and seems like i will have this issue if it is an universal problem. Hope APPLE will do something. manually change is not too bad, but:(. i learnt APPLE's switching is different with NVIDIA's. wondering other laptops using NV's technology have any issues?

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

He's running it in BootCamp, when in windows the 330M is on no matter what.

5. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I know that, but he said he is still having issues in Mac OS X.

6. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Did you install the Bootcamp drivers off the OS X disc? If you didn't you are running on integrated graphics hence the crappy performance.

7. CrazyDesi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I can set the graphics to the highest settings but it overheats. I just want to be able to play some games at a decent setting(Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, GTA IV). Has everyone else been able to play these games? Should I buy an OEM version of Windows 7 for gaming? I currently only have a pirated version. I can't believe I am admitting that.....

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would re-install the drivers from bootcamp and then check you have the Nvidia control panel to change settings, not a generic one. And you claim it overheats? Mine doesn't, hasn't once. Currently playing Starcraft and it's fine. Your computer is only overheating if it switches itself off, otherwise it's just hot as expected, use it on a desk or table, do not play graphics intensive games with the laptop on your bed as it's probably the worst thing you could do.

And you shouldn't have a pirated copy of Windows either you bad person. You won't be able to install Windows updates for one, and an OEM copy is not a lot of money.

9. CrazyDesi thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be more than happy to be a legitimate OEM version as long as I figure out how well it works. My computer does shut off. Many times. Sometimes, it has shut off on Torchlight for Mac(two or three times) while it was on a table.

Does anyone know a way to test if my videocard is working ok? Like a software test on OS X or something?

10. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

If you have all the drivers installed and you are sure that you are using the 330M, perhaps its just a dud card. It does happen, though extremely rarely. Call apple or set up a Genius appointment and explain the situation. Maybe get a game running so you can show them how hot it gets to the point when it turns off. Normally, how long does it take for your MBP to shut itself off?

11. CrazyDesi thread starter macrumors newbie

On Mac OS X, it takes maybe an hour on a small game like Torchlight. If I play something like City of Heroes, I can't play but the lowest setting without it heating up and significant frame rate problems. Shouldn't I be able to play City of Heroes with max settings?

12. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

As I already said, it just looks like you have a bad card. Take it to a Genius.

13. CrazyDesi thread starter macrumors newbie

Cinebench gives me a 15.8 usually. From what I can tell, that is about average for this card. Is it the fans? Does anyone get similar scores for the 330m 512mb?

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Is the computer switching off when your using Mac OSX? You need to test that, if your not then install Steam and Torchlight and try it. If it IS switching off in Mac OSX then install one of the fan control programmes and set them to maximum then test it again.
    If your computer is still switching off (Make sure your battery is fully charged and your also have it connected to the mains) then don't ask questions, go straight to Apple and demand a free repair or replacement as if you have a faulty GPU you need it fixed now as it costs a LOT to repair when out of warranty.
    It can also be a fault with the fans or the heat sinks not being applied properly when it was built.

EDIT. I just wanted to add that the MacBook Pro DOES NOT OVERHEAT IN ANYWAY if it is functioning properly. It gets hot yes but what do you expect with a giant heatsink for a case? Anyone who accepts the computer switching itself off all the time to heat as normal is just an idiot, plain and simple. And in the nearly 4 years I've owned MB Pro's for and played games in Windows and in Mac OSX I have not ONCE had ANY shutdowns due to heat. So I'll say it again. THE MACBOOK PRO DOES NOT OVERHEAT!!!

15. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

install graphic drivers... don't use apples they are complete crap. I am for note on an i7 15" mbp.

I run exclusively on win7 pro 32 bit. Don't use 64 bit...it gave me a lot of problems...games crashing all the time or wouldnt even run.

I play mostly steam games, TF2, L4D2, Fallout 3

Bio shock ran well too.

Also don't be stupid and think you can run everything on high. The 330m is a mid to low range card despite fanbois thinking its the second coming of christ.
    Start with Medium-High settings...and move down until you get a decent frame rate

Play with a fan over your laptop, and a laptop cooler underneathe. The MBP is a terribly designed laptop heat wise. Graphic intense games will definitely make your laptop overheat so be careful that it doesnt damage your laptop

16. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

windows is unable to control the fans. Download SMCFanControl, set your fans to 5000 RPM. Restart into windows and you fans should still be at 5k. Then try your games.

17. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

False.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lubbofancontrol/

Should let you set your fans at whatever speed you want in bootcamp.

And neondrgns, the MBP is actually designed well for heat. It just feels like it isn't to you because the aluminum conducts the heat thereforemaking it hotter to your hand but funneling the heat away from the components which ultimately is the most important thing. Even when gaming my comp never goes over 77-78 degrees Celsius.

18. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

God you talk some *****.

330m is a midrange GPU for a notebook, 512mb is good enough to play on high settings with limited AA features, i normally use 2x or off depending on game and thats withe 9600GT.

You do not need a laptop cooler and you do not need a desk fan FFS.

ive played for 5 hours straight before and its never over heated once and im on a higher powered C2D which gets much hotter than the current i5/i7.

the Macbook is not terribly designed at all, the heat generated is like any other laptop except the aluminium the case its made from tends to give the impression thats its hotter than it is since its like a giant heatsink.

God knows where you get ur information from.

19. CrazyDesi thread starter macrumors newbie

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Why? How is that going to help stop your laptop turning itself off?

21. Loptimist macrumors member

false, especially for the games you mostly play.

what do you mean by freeze? i hope you are not saying that you set games to MAX settings and fps is like 1-2.

330m GT is only a mid-ranged mobile gpu. don't expect too much from it.

Youtube does stutter due to Flash and OSX performance issues.

22. CrazyDesi thread starter macrumors newbie

It would help me determine if it's a bad graphics card or a heating problem or if I am overestimating the processor.

23. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I game on my 15" C2D from time to time and I never have a heat issue or frame drops.

My standard procedure for gaming:

1. Boot into Mac

2. Set SMCFanControl to 62k

3. Reboot into Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit for me)

4. Enjoy my gaming.

As I remind my students, its easier to keep something cool than it is to cool some hot. Seriously, it works great.

Also, Apple's drivers suck. Grab the ones from the manufacturer's site for best performance. The video drivers that Apple ships are horrible (well outdated). Nvidia does a great job of keeping up-to-date drivers on their site.

Enjoy!

Also, I wrote a simple batch file that stops all the 'crap' services you don't need in Windows 7 to give yourself a few more FPS. I can post it if you want...

Cheers!
    -P

24. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

You can just download lubbo's fan control for bootcamp and set the fans manually without having to restart.