333MHz G3 iMac fanless?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Has anyone tried running a 333MHz iMac G3 with the fan unplugged? Were there any heat issues? The fan doesn't actually blow on the CPU so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
The fan is there for some reason though, maybe to cool the case then? The iMac case looks rather cramped.

I don't have an iMac and don't know but...

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Well I just ran it for 5 hours straight without the fan plugged in and it didn't any hotter than it would with the fan plugged in. If I could only find a 6GB hard drive that is quieter. The current one is quite loud when spinning.

You have to take half the damn iMac apart just to get to the power connector. Good thing those iMacs are easy to work on. :D

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Hmm, what generation of iMac was it that had no fan? the case design cooled the system IIRC...

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
My friend got an old iMac for free (G3 i think.....)..... ran for about 3 hours than blew up (smoke billowed out and stuff).... it had overheated. Not sure why but everything was fried.

We end up dropping it off his truck :cool: :eek:

.....the gasses in there make you kinda woozy.......

Bonsaichop

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
Wollongong, Australia
Extend the wires for the fan, and attach them to the hdd +7v rails (red on the fan on yellow on the hdd, black on the fan on red on the hdd). Requires some soldering but it'll solve any of your noise issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.