Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think it makes much difference, the extra electricity from starting it up often could slightly shorten the life of some components, but probably not noticably. I will keep my powerbook running for several weeks at a time, the only times I shut it down are when an update requires it to restart or I am going to be gone for a few days and I havn't had any problems related to that.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sleep the machine so that you can be sure it runs its daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks. Having said that, a restart can't hurt every now and then.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'm not an expert on the matter, but you may want to give some more info to go along with that question, as it may affect the answer. For example, how often do you shut down/sleep and re-waken your MacBook? And for how long is it off/asleep?

Sleep the machine so that you can be sure it runs its daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks. Having said that, a restart can't hurt every now and then.
The cron maintenance tasks don't run if the computer is asleep.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
^ your right more info would be helpful, sorry. I use my macbook just about everyday. If i was to just put it to sleep. i would be waking it anywhere from 1-4 times in a day. It usually would not be off/asleep for more than a day. Thanks for all the replies!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
if you are using it that much just put it to sleep. I would shut it down though if you wont be using it for more than a day.

letswastetime

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
i use my computer randomly throughout the day. usually i could use it for a half an hour then put it to sleep until i need it about another hour or 2 later. is it better to put my macbook to sleep or put on the screensaver if i leave it for a only 1-2 hours?

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Sleeping

I never put shut mine down, it sleeps most of the day and night and its never had any problems, although as im typing this, im realising my keyboard is screwing up. My Z is a Y and my Y is a Z, and my apostophe and others now look like this. àéè¨$. Oh dear.

Maybe its time for a restart.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It's not better or worse to sleep/turn off your Macbook. Just depends what you need. If I'm not going to be using it for a long time, say overnight, I switch it off. Otherwise I just put it to sleep.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
I never put shut mine down, it sleeps most of the day and night and its never had any problems, although as im typing this, im realising my keyboard is screwing up. My Z is a Y and my Y is a Z, and my apostophe and others now look like this. àéè¨$. Oh dear.

Maybe its time for a restart.

Sounds like a german keyboard layout to me.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
If you leave it plugged in all day, let it sleep at night unplugged. This drains about 10% of the battery overnight and aids overall battery life.

What? No...the type of batteries in these computers like to be topped off, all the time. Leaving it unplugged at night is only going to use up the batteries' life.

If you're not using it away from the desk, it should be plugged in.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
What? No...the type of batteries in these computers like to be topped off, all the time. Leaving it unplugged at night is only going to use up the batteries' life.

Do you have some Apple reference that shows this? I can't find anything that says leaving it plugged in all the time is best.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

No. Lithium Ion batteries liked to be exercised a little. Apple even states that the ideal user (as far as battery life is concerned) is a commuter. A small discharge and then a small recharge. You may end up with more cycles this way but capacity will remain higher for longer.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.