Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarmaster18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Okay, so looking around I saw that there have been alot of threads about tethering your iphone to your mac... Most without an answer. I am sure that there are alot of people wanting to do this out there, so I created this tutorial for those who don't have computer science degrees

Key: []= keystroke
""= code

Ok, step one
Download the tetherkit from here.
Now that you have that, open up a terminal window and type cd Desktop. then, type cd tetherkit-osx. Then, type "chmod u+x * [return]"

Step two.
Move the jailbreak that is in the tetherkit folder out on to you desktop. Now, go to your phonedmg folder. Take your jailbreak out and put it somewhere safe. Now move the jailbreak that is on your desktop in to the phonedmg folder. Now type "cd ~/phonedmg [return]" in terminal.

Step three
Type "./jailbreak [return]" and follow the directions to jailbreak your phone.
*Important* When I did this, it got stuck at "Waiting for the iphone to finish booting." If it does this to you, wait for your iphone to boot into its normal screen, then press [control+c] to quit jailbreak.

Step four
Now that your phone has been jailbroken using the modded jailbreak, type "cd ~/Desktop/tetherkit-osx [return]" in your terminal window. Then, type "./tetherify-osx-intel.sh [return]." Follow the onscreen directions.

Step five
Now, you are ready to tether! Ok, first create an ad-hoc network by clicking on your airport icon, and clicking "create network". Name it whatever you like. Now, Go into system preferences. Hit the Network icon, then select Airport, then click Configure. In the window, select TCP/IP. Swich the "Configure IPv4" option to manual. Now, for the IP address, type in 10.3.3.1 (this is not your iphones ip). And for the subnet mask, type in 255.255.255.0
Now, switch to the "Proxies" tab. Scroll down until you see "SOCKS Proxy". Now, select that. Now we need your iphone. On your phone, go into settings, and click on Wifi. Join the ad-hoc network we set up earlier. Then, click the blue arrow next to it. Switch from DHCP to Static. Set the ip as 10.3.3.2 and the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 Leave everything else blank. Now, switch back to your System Preferences window. You should already be on the proxy window. Put a check next to SOCKS proxy, and for the ip enter 10.3.3.2, and a port of 1080. Click apply now.

Step Six

make sure your phone is awake. Open safari. If at first your page doesent load, keep clicking refresh until you get it to load. Sometimes it does the first time, sometimes it doesent. there you go! You have successfully tethered your iphone!

Edit: Just posted this on Modmyiphone.com too...

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
you have to be jailbroken every time you tether? or is that just to get the program installed?

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
when you say 'then type' does it mean hit [return] before you type the next part?

maybe some conventions are in order, such as use " to surround the actual text that is to be entered into terminal...

maybe use [ ] to denote a key press such as [return] or [apple - q] or whatever...

just thinking of ways to make this even easier for those who may not completely understand what is going on here and how terminal works....

guitarmaster18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
when you say 'then type' does it mean hit [return] before you type the next part?

maybe some conventions are in order, such as use " to surround the actual text that is to be entered into terminal...

maybe use [ ] to denote a key press such as [return] or [apple - q] or whatever...

just thinking of ways to make this even easier for those who may not completely understand what is going on here and how terminal works....

ok, thanks for the suggestions! (editing now)

edit: Done! Is it less confusing now?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
PLEASE don't do it that way. That is a very sloppy way to install it. Those instructions are outdated. iPhoneInterface is old, jailbreak is old and broken ... just don't do it.

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

• BSD Subsystem
  • Term-VT100

3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

• IP Address: 192.168.1.100
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

• IP address: 192.168.1.101

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

• IP address: 192.168.1.100
  • Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.

guitarmaster18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
PLEASE don't do it that way. That is a very sloppy way to install it. Those instructions are outdated. iPhoneInterface is old, jailbreak is old and broken ... just don't do it.

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

• BSD Subsystem
  • Term-VT100

3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

• IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

• IP address: 192.168.1.101

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

• IP address: 192.168.1.100
  • Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.

Wow, I had never heard of that before... He's right... Do it that way! :D

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
At the moment, no. It's faster via Wi-Fi anyway. Do you not have a Wi-Fi card?

Just did a quick read of what you posted and didn't realize it was a wifi connection, just thought it was usb.

Nice.

Now I have put the apptapp installer and everything is fine, however do I need to load NES roms and ringtones? Nothing new comes up.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Just did a quick read of what you posted and didn't realize it was a wifi connection, just thought it was usb.

Nice.

Now I have put the apptapp installer and everything is fine, however do I need to load NES roms and ringtones? Nothing new comes up.

Refer to my instructions in this thread on how to put NES roms and such on your phone:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/344240/

Ringtones go in /var/root/Library/Ringtones

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
is there any way to bypass typing in "srelay" in the iPhone term app?

can the ad-hoc network spit out dhcp ip instead of static? :)

To be honest, I'm not even sure switching to static is necessary. Just finding the IP address of the iPhone and using that for the SOCKS Proxy should work.

The only way I could think of bypassing the srelay thing would bring more terminal stuff in that you'd need to do. I'm not that experienced in programming, but you could probably write a program that has an icon that executes srelay, and automatically sets the iPhone to static, and the IP address and such.

Then you'd need to get it into the Installer.app repos.

I have no idea how to do that.

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
When I type srelay in term vt100 it says no valid entries found. using default. no server socket prepared, exiting... cannot open server socket

Why?

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I followed all the instructions, and everything went smooth (thanks to all who have worked so hard on this) My question is, shouldn't the data speed be similar to the iphone?? with my iphone and iphonenetworktest,average speed on the Edge network is 150-180 kbps, when teathered I have not been able to get 45. While teathered I have also tried speakeasy's test with similar results.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
You might check /Library/Ringtones vs. /var/root/Library/Ringtones. At least since 1.0.2, that's what my iPhone is using for the ringtones directory.

The stock ringtones go in /Library/Ringtones, but following the UNIX FSH, they should go in your home folder. So, while they may work in /Library/Ringtones, it's just a better practice to put them in /var/root/Library/Ringtones.

When I type srelay in term vt100 it says no valid entries found. using default. no server socket prepared, exiting... cannot open server socket

Why?

It will always do that unless you manually create a configuration file. Just ignore it.

I followed all the instructions, and everything went smooth (thanks to all who have worked so hard on this) My question is, shouldn't the data speed be similar to the iphone?? with my iphone and iphonenetworktest,average speed on the Edge network is 150-180 kbps, when teathered I have not been able to get 45. While teathered I have also tried speakeasy's test with similar results.

It's because you're running through a proxy, it will be slightly slower. Mine usually goes around 120kbit/s ... maybe you need to restart your phone so Safari and all that aren't running. That should help speed things up a bit, since the proxy server needs CPU cycles too. :)

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
So I did everything like you said... I ignored that srelay thing. And the directions weren't hard so I don't see how I could have messed up but I got no internet connection? Where you say in the socks proxy part the IP address is that the name of the server? I don't know where exactly to put it so I guessed and put it in the name part... I just don't see what I could have been doing wrong. I typed srelay, I made a network, I joined it with my iPhone, I changed the IP and the Subnet Mask to what you said, I changed my IP and subnet and did the proxy thing on my mac and pressed Apply. No internet. Help? I guess you can't help though because I followed your directions and I missed no steps.... I'm confused.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Just a friendly warning, if you do tether your iPhone you run risk of being terminated from AT&T. (and you won't be able to sign back up)

Its a violation of their policies.

guitarmaster18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Just a friendly warning, if you do tether your iPhone you run risk of being terminated from AT&T. (and you won't be able to sign back up)

Its a violation of their policies.

True, but they cannot tell the differrence from you using your iphone or you using your computer- to them it all looks the same. Just downloading data. That's it.

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
TheGeneral,

You specifically told me it will always give me that response and that I should ignore it... are you saying that now I should not ignore it? I still typed it in, saw what it said and ignored it as per your suggestion.... I don't know why you would change your mind... I am really confused. Did you want me to manually create a configuration file? And, if so, how do I do that?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
TheGeneral,

You specifically told me it will always give me that response and that I should ignore it... are you saying that now I should not ignore it? I still typed it in, saw what it said and ignored it as per your suggestion.... I don't know why you would change your mind... I am really confused. Did you want me to manually create a configuration file? And, if so, how do I do that?

It will tell show you that message unless you manually create a configuration file. Creating a configuration file is a waste of time. Just ignore it. Sorry for the confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.