$349 Refurbished iPad 2 or new iPad?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Now that's a tough choice. $349 for a 16GB iPad 2 is a heck of a deal.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
$349 is great if you are buying for kids, as gifts, or for parents.

I'd spring for the Retina display and better processor. Its worth the $150 in my opinion. The display is by far the MOST important part of the device so having a great one is totally worth it.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

I'd spring for the Retina display and better processor. Its worth the $150 in my opinion. The display is by far the MOST important part of the device so having a great one is totally worth it.

The current Ipad2 does have a great screen already as far as I am concerned.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you are going to fully utilize the iPad and get into content creation I say definitely get the new one. However, if you are going to use it for simply content consumption and light tasks a $399 brand new/$349 refurbished iPad 2 is a great deal. It will definitely put the hurt on the lower priced tablets out there (The Fire).

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
If you're cash strapped I would go with the iPad 2. If you have the money I would go with the third generation iPad or if you still want the third generation without the $500 price tag, wait a few months for Apple to offer refurbished ones for $450.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Another option, which I just did, is to find an open box iPad 3 at Best Buy. They sell for $449.99 (taking the 10% off for open). iPad 2 for $350 is a good deal, but for me, it's like going from a standard def TV to a high def TV and retina is worth it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If u are on a budget. $350 for refurb iPad with warranty is a good entry point of iPad users.

$500 maybe too much money for some. We all need to get perspective on people's income range.

In my opinion. I have both iPad 2 and new iPad. In real time web browsing and basic email tasks. There is very little performance difference. So unless you are a gamer. If you are on a budget. $350 is excellent price.

Personally I would have liked apple to sell new iPad 2 for $350 and refurbs for $299 to catch the lower tier group. That price point would kill the low end tablets.

But I suspect even apple knows the biggest threat to the new iPad is actually the iPad 2.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The iPad 2 at the refurb price is a heck of a deal I'm actually thinking of getting one for my 11 yr old son.
But for me or if you can swing it I would go for the new one.
The display is incredible and the 1gb of ram is also a worthwhile upgrade.
I always buy every two generations same with the iPhone and usually hand down what I had to my son but I got such a good sales price for my 1st gen iPad that I had to sell it.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I have the new one and bought a refurb iPad 2 for the wife. Screen is the big difference. Speed is about the same. The better buy is the 2. The 3 is the way to go if you want the latest and the crisp screen. I suspect most users wouldn't care. My wife certainly doesn't....lol.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I'm in the same boat. I would think a refurbished iPad has 'hands-on attention', rather than a production line. Could live without retina display, don't use camera on iPhone and play mostly board games. Not a question of mioney. I am reading a lot of complaints about a 'yellowiish tint, white spots, WiFi problems.

transphasic

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I have the new one and bought a refurb iPad 2 for the wife. Screen is the big difference. Speed is about the same. The better buy is the 2. The 3 is the way to go if you want the latest and the crisp screen. I suspect most users wouldn't care. My wife certainly doesn't....lol.
This. The 2 is a superb device and at the refurb pricing, is a great offering. But do NOT take it into the apple store and compare to the 3 on display there - the screen on the 3 exceeds the 2 by a wide margin. I did that, and the next day returned the 2 and got a 3, and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

I had the new one thoroughly tested in the store, including a software diagnostic that the staff has access to that the public does not, studied the screen carefully, tested both the wi-fi and cellular connectivity (the store i went to offered free cell access), all buttons' functionality, etc, and have enjoyed it since. Such a great product....

So if the better screen is not an issue, get the 2, it is still a superb product.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

The iPad 3 does not have a better processor. It has a better GPU, and that's only for the display. The performances are pretty much on par.

----------

Absolutely...
The iPad 2's screen was bad in 2010 when it was released. It's unacceptable after looking at the iPad 3.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
If you get the 2, don't be curious and go looking at the 3 as you may have buyer's remorse. I went with the 3 as I know I am exactly that kind of person. I looked at the 2 yesterday and said to myself what is this garbage I am looking at, lol, the difference to me is very significant.

TazExprez

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
New York
If you have a Micro Center nearby, you can get an iPad 2 16GB WiFi for $359.99 brand new. This offer is only available for in-store pickup.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Not to take away from the OP but are the iPad 3's hitting the refurb store yet?
i'm looking every 1-2 days and don't see anything.
either they are and are selling out really quickly or they are not up yet.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
It will be at least 6 months from the release date. Apple isn't stupid.
Any used inventory they do build up I am thinking will be reserved for warranty purposes first, and held onto until there's enough time and big enough of a stockpile to not negatively affect their current sales of the new iPads. Just a guess.