Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I've been wanting an external battery for my Macbook since I received mine a few months ago. However, USB-C external battery options are very limited in 2016; while I'm sure this will be totally different within the next couple of years, I think few people even know charging the rMB via an external is possible at this point. The most well-known option in the market is the Anker Powercore+ 20100, however it was both more expensive and much larger/heavier than what I was looking for.

I found on Amazon's page for the Anker Powercore+ 10050 that it could charge the Macbook via a USB to USB-C cable, but I was hesitant. Searching online, there's little to no information regarding this Anker battery being compatible with the Macbook. . The only real useful information I found was one thread on an Apple forum page mentioning that the 10050+ would be compatible with the Macbook since it's one of 3 models that support the latest USB-PD (compatible with USB-C). Decided to try it out-- spent $35 on the Powercore+ and $14 on the 3ft USB-C to USB cable (you can get them much cheaper, I got a nicer cable). I was drawn to this particular model because it's supposedly one of the most portable 10,000 mAh options on the market

Tried it out today and it works! The 10050 is very small and compact and it'll now charge up my rMacbook successfully. I was very surprised there was so little info about this online. Essentially Anker only represents this feature via a one-liner hidden away in the Amazon description. I don't see any compatibility mentioned for USB-C on their site or really anywhere else on the internet.

Just received this stuff so don't have any solid stats at this point. I will drain my rMB tonight and recharge, using my Powercore+ 10050, when closed. I'm estimating it'll charge a rMB to about 60% to 70% from a dead state. Stay tuned.

TLDR; AnkerPower+ 10050 ($35) is compatible to charge the Macbook as long as you have a USB-C to USB cable. Will be posting an update regarding to what capacity this external battery will juice up the rMB.

Here's the link to the 10050+: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZT6QWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Upon experimenting I'm finding even my 3-4 year old external batteries are successfully charging the Macbook! I was not aware that nearly any external USB battery source could charge the rMacbook with just a USB-C to USB cable.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Upon experimenting I'm finding even my 3-4 year old external batteries are successfully charging the Macbook! I was not aware that nearly any external USB battery source could charge the rMacbook with just a USB-C to USB cable.

There are several threads on this. I used my Anker 15000mAh for my 2015rMB from day one.
It is not impressive but it helps to extend battery life in some situations when traveling e.g.
I was very pleased at the beginning when I tried this out but after using my rMB for more than a year now I have not used it as much as I thought I would even though I live very remote with no regular mains.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Yes, that's one of the selling points of the rMB - that you can use an external battery to fully charge it. I love the fact I can charge it anywhere I go without having to find an outlet.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yep, the only real limitation is in how fast it will charge. A 5 watt (1A) source is going to be very slow, and may only slow the discharge rate if you're using the rMB at the time. A 12watt (2.4A) source will easily charge it up overnight, I've done this many times when travelling, just plugging into a 2.4A capable port on a multiport charger. Depending on what you're doing it may or may not charge it while in use, but it'll likely not discharge any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.