$350 to spend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NiKeZz, Jan 14, 2011.

1. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Parents gave me $350 to spend on whatever I wanted. I have a job and I'm in college. My major is photojournalism. I have a Macbook pro 13" 2010. I have no monitor perce` but I use my 32" 720p HDTV with it quite often. I have an Xbox 360 with a few games and a Canon 60D.

I'm having a really hard time deciding what to spend this on. I would rather spend it now than use it for going out and food and gas which will end up for that if i don't spend it now. I looked at the PS3's since I like gaming but I'm not confident in making that decision yet idk why but i just can't get myself to say yeah I want that. I really could use an external monitor with 1080p or ^ resolution for my photography but i won't need it til this summer as we have a lab at my school for that. Any suggestions? I thought about an in-dash touchscreen dvd player for my car or 2 12's. I really don't know.

2. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Put it in a savings account so it's harder to access. Buy something that you really want / need.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Buy a camera lens? You seem to be really into it. My photography teacher used to tell us to go to a pawn shop, because a lot of older ones end up there and it's so much better getting used gear that works great, instead of the cheap expensive stuff that they have out these days.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I say either bank it or get yourself an external monitor with some of it and bank the rest. Always a good idea to keep extra money in college. I and many of my friends have found that out the hard way.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

dude there no point in just blowing this money if theres nothing in particular you want. If you dont trust yourself not to spend it on something boring why not ask your parents to keep hold of the cash for you until there is something you do want?

7. alfmil macrumors regular

8. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Bank and save it for an emergency if there isn't something you want to get.

9. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

I'm not to familiar with the stock market.. but how does that work? I know you have to invest so much money to own an individual share in the company, but how do you get back money from it? How long should you leave yourself in the share? and what kind of money could be earned from that?

10. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

E*trade

etrade.com

11. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Apple (AAPL) is currently trading at $348, meaning you can buy 1 share. It costs anywhere from $0 to $30 to buy/sell. Charles Schwab, what I use for instance, is $8.95 per trade (buy/sell).

Most people think it will reach $420 by one year, meaning your $350 would turn into $420 - Capital Gains Tax.

Capital Gains is based on 3 factors (long-term, short-term, income-level). Long-Term Capital Gains (held for more than 1 year) is 15%, unless you are in the bottom 2 tax tiers, then it's less. Short-Term Capital Gains (held one year or less) is at the same level as income tax. If you're a dependent (your parents claim you on their taxes), this might be different.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you have to ask, then you don't need to spend it...put it in the bank!

13. kyriostrife macrumors member

Yeah obviously if you have no idea what you want/need then just save it. Because that time will come when all of a sudden you want something and that 350 would've been perfect.

Heh... I just want to buy a used a macbook for $350 as a backup laptop and can't find any.

14. joehahn macrumors regular

seems like the consensus is to bank it, and I recommend that as well!

15. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you don't know what you need then you don't need it. Put it in the bank so you have that much more money ready for when you do need or really want something.

Aside from that, if you are a reader perhaps a Kindle from Amazon for $140 would be a good investment.

16. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Put it in a savings and you might find need for it later on.

17. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

18. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I say 1 share of AAPL. Gonna help you make money faster than interest.