Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Dear Forum Visitors,

During last six months Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com) has been working on our first software for Mac OS X – Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X.
This product allows Mac users to use Microsoft NTFS file system as Mac OS X native.
Now the product is almost ready and we want to offer you its Public Beta version. It's the first time when we do public beta testing. There is one big reason for that: we do want to make Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X a useful tool for every Mac user. That's why we need your opinion about it.

What we expect from you:
1. Bug reports (though we hope that there won't be many). If you find a bug, describe in details the way it can be reproduced. We need every detail, every step. Write your OS version and CPU architecture.
2. Usability issues. We want to make the product as easy to use as possible. Write us what is to be improved or changed. Make your suggestions detailed and reasonable. This will help us to understand them and implement in a right way.
3. New feature suggestions. In fact we don't have much time before the release date to implement new features. Though if a suggested feature is easy to implement or requested by many people, then we will do it.

To download the public beta version, please fill out a short web form and download it - http://ntfs-mac.com/

Meantime you can look at our short Product Description. There is not much text ;)
http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/Mac/Product_description_Public_Beta_Testing.pdf

We will read your feedback in this thread very carefully. We also excuse in advance about lack of replies. We won't be able to reply all your posts, but we will do "summary" replies once or twice a day in this thread.

PS. We appreciate this forum community very much. That's why we selected this forum for our Public beta testing. In exchange to your help we will be glad to provide the most active beta testers with free versions of this software. The rest will have 30% discount.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X team.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
cool! do NTFS volumes mount as network drives like with NTFS-3G?
and also does it take a long time to shutdown while using Paragon? i found when using NTFS-3G it took ages to shutdown. i found out it ended up being NTFS-3G taking ages to unmount the NTFS volume.

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Richthomas,

Thanks for the questions.
All NTFS volumes will be mounted as local drives. The driver does not require any additional time to shutdown Mac.

Best regards,
Anatoly.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Sweet! Been waiting for a company to take up on this ever since Bootcamp was released.

Does it support full speeds for the NTFS formatted drives?

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
SDAVE,

Yes, the driver has really high read/write performance. It has almost the same performance as native Apple HFS+ driver, in some cases we are even better.

Best regards,
Anatoly.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I was getting about 18MB/sec from a fast external USB2.0 drive...it's formatted as NTFS.

Where can we submit suggestions?

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
SDAVE,

Please submit your suggestions in this thread.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Anatoly.

pamm@netcabo.pt

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
don't know if it is related, but it seems that boot into os is taking longer, didn't try to uninstall to verify. do you have any knowledge of this?

AWESOME! I have a stack of old NTFS SCSI drives I've been dying to connect (and finally retrieve my old files from) using my Belkin USB to SCSI adapter. Figuring this Belkin adapter only works on the Mac, I'd been thinking I'd have to get an annoying SCSI adapter for my PC, which was never going to happen! This changes everything. :)

~ CB

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
I've noticed that my boot up is taking more time compared to before install. Is this a known issue? Any workaround? Or if I decide to uninstall will it change/revert the name of my Windows partition?

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
I uninstalled it with the built in uninstaller, and boot time is still just as slow. Not good. It's like starting up a Windows machine all over again.

Also ran Onyx to see if that would help with the boot time after the uninstall. No luck.

Another issue now, is that Finder now opens up after start up automatically showing the drives on my computer. It's never done that before.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've noticed that my boot up is taking more time compared to before install. Is this a known issue? Any workaround? Or if I decide to uninstall will it change/revert the name of my Windows partition?

This is probably apple startup checking your pc drive for a disk image. Best way to solve is to go back into system prefs / startup and reselect 10.4 as default start up and then lock the changes.

The same problem rears its head for users with bootcamp, regardless if they have installed paragon NTFS, you mac is just spending too long searching the drives before finding a suitable boot image.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
MacRumorUser, thanks. Followed your suggestion, same result. Even with BootCamp installed I never had an issue with the speed of my startup. Granted it is beta, so things are expected.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have an external directly plugged into my MacBook. Also didn't have any connected externals during the issue. I'm open to any other suggestions, hopefully the person from Paragon has some ideas also.

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Dear mkrishnan,

We don’t use the FUSE. We use our own UFSD (universal file system driver) technology. We have developed several products based on this technology:
NTFS for DOS;
NTFS for Win98;
Mount Everything;
NTFS for Linux.
The most famous is NTFS for Linux (http://www.ntfs-linux.com).

Dear CLuv,

We are sorry for this inconvenience. We have never faced with this problem. Please let us know your computer model and operating system. We will try to reproduce this issue and fix it ASAP. We will also check the issue with opening Finder.

Thanks,
Anatoly.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I tried to repair my Windows partition under OSX, but it won't let me. I get this error:

Verifying volume “Windows”
Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
Anatoly,

MacBook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo (Black) purchased Feb '07 with 2 GB of DDR2 SDRAM, running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with all current Apple updates on a 120GB drive, BootCamp version 1.4 with 15 GB for the Windows partition. Windows partition is running Windows XP SP2 with all current Microsoft Updates.

The finder issue resolved itself after the 3rd run of OnyX version 1.8.2. Although there is no improvement in the startup issue.

Let me know if there is any other information you need.

Thanks

-CLuv-

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Dear CLuv,

Please check the following:
Can you see NTFS partitions on your Desktop?
If so, can you create a folder on a NTFS volume?

Moreover, please open Terminal.app:
Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app
and type in:
1. ls -lR /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext/
show us the output;
2 ls -lR /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs
show us the output;
3. ls -l /sbin/mount_ntfs
show us the output.

Dear SDAVE,
Please make sure, all files/folders on this NTFS partition are closed.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks,
Anatoly.

spnr

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Hi everyone!
Have found this topic in Google and downloaded the driver already. As for me, works perfect. Thanks! If something goes wrong, I'll let you know.:rolleyes:

WBR:apple:

nre999

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
It seems that the link is no longer working and I have not been able to download the software. Bummer.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
Anatoly,

I'll reinstall the program this evening, and follow your suggestions to see if that works and will report back my findings.

Reinstalled, startup is still slow. I can see the NTFS volumes and it's contents with no issue. I can also create a directory on the NTFS Volume. Not sure if my use of terminal is correct based upon your directions, so I copied it for you.

chris-ns-computer:~ chrisn$ /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext
-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext: is a directory
chris-ns-computer:~ chrisn$ /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext show us the output
-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext: is a directory
chris-ns-computer:~ chrisn$ /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.fs
-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.fs: No such file or directory
chris-ns-computer:~ chrisn$ /sbin/mount_ntfs
Usage: mount_ntfs [-dfrw] [-o options] <special> <node>
chris-ns-computer:~ chrisn$

Let me know how else I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.