35mm Photos to Digital

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rs7, Oct 30, 2008.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

2. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

If the actual pictures you mean the 35mm slides that you would simply put in a projector and display on a screen. I used an Opteka Slide Converter to convert over 1000 photos. I picked it up at Amazon for around $50.

The best setup is to use a tripod, a camera that has Manual focus, and point it towards a natural indirect light source.
    I have a Nikon D60, so it worked well. So you are basically taking a picture of a picture. The quality was actually pretty good.

The only "issue" I had with it, was that the resulting image had a large black border around the picture of the slide. And to manually crop out 1000 photos just wasn't something I was willing to do.
    I used imagemagick to essentially batch crop the images.
    Here's an example of one of the results:

I can send you an example pic, and if I still have it, I can send you the script I used to do the batch cropping (Your's would be different, but I also benefit from an example)

3. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

That looks pretty high tech :p. I'm looking for something that will take my 4x6 printed photos and put them on my computer, like the link from Hammacher Schlemmer I gave above (but that's only for Windows :\ ). I know a regular scanner could do it...but it's kind of tedious to scan 5,000 pictures one by one manually...

So anyone know something to scan 4x6 photos to a Mac :p

4. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure there's an online service that allows you to mail in a bunch of photos and they'll scan them for you and return a disc. Can't remember the name right now though...

5. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Sorry, when I looked at that link, I saw the picture of the slide scanner, (inset ad).
    If you're doing just 4x6 prints then munckee is right, there are services. But I think they run in the 24cents per picture range. So 5000 pics X 24cents=$1200!

I would probably just use my scanner, lay down as many as I could on the glass, then use imagemagik to slice and dice it out into smaller photos. (You could also try your luck with the built in automator actions)