35MM Slide Scanner recommendations please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Peabody, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Peabody macrumors regular

Hi All,

Looking to pick up a 35MM slide scanner, or a regular flatbed scanner with this option available.

Anyone have a recommendation to pass my way?

Thanks!

2. lucero1148 macrumors member

I've used the nikon coolscan V scanner and that is a great piece if kit for about $550. Very clean scans with hi resolution and excellent dmax (shadow and highlight resolution). It's also very quick.

Epson also produces a nice film scanner with their Perfection series of flatbeds at half the price of the Nikon. However when you're doing hundreds of slides at a time doing it one by one on the Nikon scanner will be faster than loading up multiple slides on the Epson, plus you don't have to worry about dust on the flatbeds glass showing up.

the Epson also produces good scans and has the ability to scan medium format film and documents as well so its a good mix for your home business.
    Patrick

3. vultureboy70 macrumors member

I second the Nikon Coolscan V. I borrowed it from a friend and scanned my color and grayscale negatives very easily and quickly. I wasn't very picky about final quality, but the scanned images looked absolutely great to me. I didn't scan any slides, but I think this model handles that as well. It was too expensive for me so try to borrow or rent it or split the cost with a friend. Unless of course you're going to be scanning a lot, then buy it. Good luck!