36" or 72" screen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CrackedButter, Mar 3, 2011.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You know, Apple could just kick ass and release a 36" or 72" screen iPad.

Think about a school or business environment giving presentations using Airplay to send work to devices as well. In the home it could be used for learning or maybe that piano app will be big enough to fit on the one screen. Then there is always airplay in the home to replace your tv.

I'm sure it's a few years away for the component prices to come down to something more affordable.

(36"/72" screen is based on a rough multiplication of the 9.7" screen on the iPad).

2. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

At what price point would you imagine? $10,000 like a Microsoft surface?

3. gostan macrumors regular

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I said something about waiting for component prices to drop.

MS Surface isn't even the same type of touch interface anyway. Nor does it offer AirPlay.

--

Another use could be a large drafting table for designers. CAD would be amazing. Something like out of Iron Man, just not holographic.

Importantly this isn't out of our reach, it just has to be made bigger and for the pundits to say its just a big iPad.

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Even with component prices dropping we are still talking about Apple. If they did anything like that it would cost $2000 at the best price point. It would be awesome in a bar too.

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Which would you choose, a $2000 72" iPad or a $2000 17" MBP?

7. matt15f macrumors member

At the international car and truck show this year, a couple manufacturers had touch screen iMac's set up running promotional stuff for their vehicles.

8. boatski macrumors regular

You're looking at $30,000-$50,000 if Apple were to sell a 72" iPad-ish device.

9. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Sir, how do you work that out? I think you're making stuff up.

A Samsung 72" TV with 1080p TODAY, is around the $3000 mark.

I know Apple have a huge margin on their products but no way would they be able to justify that kind of price.

All we are talking about is a faster processor, Gcard, upscaling of the UI x4. The current iPad is already thin, includes wireless, not sure what there would be other than manufacturing the glass to be just as good as the current iPad.

10. patp Guest

very limited market for this kind of application. wouldn't make sense for Apple to pour resources into such a tiny return.

you clearly do not understand basic marketing. the market wants cheaper smaller faster devices. a 72" iPad is going in the opposite direction.

11. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

LOL that 72" is a DLP :rolleyes:.... totally different kind of technology bro. Samsungs largest flat panel is about 65" I believe and costs around $6k. A touch screen panel of 72" would cost a stupid amount of money.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Indeed. And as others have said, it would be very expensive, and a very, very limited market. That's not something apple has been getting into recently.

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I would think the 36" would start at $2000 and a 72" would be twice that, at least. I would take the MBP. What the hell would I do with a 72" iPad? It would take up your entire living room. I'd hate to see what it would weigh too!

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    this thread is ridiculous....

Maybe one day apple will double it. go 20". Anything bigger is ridiculous. at least this decade.

15. afd macrumors 6502a

I agree with OP, I'd be surprised if Apple aren't seriously considering this. It is in no way a small market either. I teach in a small school and we have about a dozen or so interactive whiteboards either from promethian or smarttech, these thing cost around £2000 by the time you've bought the board, projector, projector mount, speakers and paid for someone to fit them. After all that you still need a laptop to run it. A big Apple iBoard makes much more sense.

16. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You sound like the comic book guy from the Simpsons. "You clearly do not understand basic marketing". If you know so much how come I'm about to turn your own point against you?

I don't know whether you've noticed, that while the market DOES wants cheaper smaller faster devices. Screen sizes have been increasing.

ipod>iPhone>iPad

iMac CRT (15")>G5 iMac (20")>27"iMac

I'm not including, MacBook Pro's and Apple Cinema Displays.

This isn't just with Apple products, look at TV's, screen sizes are getting bigger but the other components are getting smaller and in turn making them thinner.

Apple have stated they are NOT making a screen smaller then the iPad (other than the iPhone), but we have the belief iOS will transition to the iMac and so forth. But Apple haven't ever denied larger screen sizes or coming.

Wow, I somehow have to defend every price point thrown at me, even the ridiculous ones, somebody says the price will be $30-$50K and I say no, it got to be cheaper. Everybody figured the iPad was going to be $999 and it wasn't.

If a basic 9.7inch iPad is $499 (which already includes their generous margin remember) then it stands to reason that multiplying the size by four would put the 36" version around $2000, 72" at $4000. This doesn't include component deals; buying in bulk or on the flipside, increasing the price slightly to machine a 72" screen which some technology companies already do. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. Merely upscaling Apple's current train of thought buy using already existing technology and repacking it.

I'm also not saying Apple will do it tomorrow either. Prices will fall over time.

So...

... If we compare the current tech outlined in the above quote, to a supposed 72" iPad, which is going to be the better choice? Look at camera RED, its a ridiculous amount of money but for those coming from film cameras, it's so much cheaper and better. For us it looks expensive. It could be the same here.

I will remind everyone here that everybody at MR during certain times in the past, pooh poohed the iPod on release, the iPhone on release and the iPad on release. Now where are we.

What I'm suggesting isn't out of the realm of possibility. So don't discount it.

17. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

why would anyone other than maybe business want a 72" iPad? if it's not something A LOT of people would want i doubt it's gonna happen

18. dstar macrumors regular

19. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford.

We've already got two people in this tiny little thread stating a 72" iPad is reasonable for education.

There are too many pessimists on this website.

20. patp Guest

you have done nothing to prove me wrong. you just proved that your idea is just not valid.

21. patp Guest

2 people? you proved me wrong! JObs is crazy for not doing this!

22. DarthMoops macrumors regular

23. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

What I meant, I posted my idea here, everybody is pooh poohing the idea saying it won't work, yet already 1 person besides me has said they can see a use for it AND sited a place for where it can slot into out lives. So It's not impossible there is a use for such a thing.

24. patp Guest

sometimes it's just better to agree to disagree.

you keep trying to keep this "idea" alive when so many people have shot you down. I hav to give you credit for your dedication. But have you at least considered what anybody has to say? You seem to only value your own opinion while not giving any credit to any other opinions.

if you think it's such a great idea. develop it and pitch it to Apple yourself. Surely if it really is such a universal great idea, they should jump all over it.

Reality is they have probably already considered it and for economic reasons are not pursuing it right now. the money is in the 10" sizes and smaller. Apple is in it to make money.