36 raptor as boot drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kellen, Jan 20, 2009.

1. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Hey all,

Just got a 36GB raptor as a boot drive. Got a great deal (15 shipped) and I want to use it for Vista Ultimate (no mac desktop to put it in).

Right now I have a WD640 and a stock 160 gb HD.

How do I go about this? Just reinstall Vista onto the raptor and then put programs onto the 640?

Just confused on how to split up programs so they have the benefit of the raptor. Computer is mainly used for internet, WoW and thats it.

Also downloaded Windows 7, going to first put it on that. Will it be able to access files on the WD640?

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Not sure I understand what you're asking, but if you're asking what I think you're asking, the answer is no. In order to run, programs must be on the same drive as the operating system you're using to run them.

3. kellen thread starter macrumors 68020

kellen

Sorry for the confusion. I bought a 36GB raptor. I want to use it to run Vista. I know to just install Vista on the raptor.

But for other programs, say World of Warcraft. Do I have to install it all to the raptor? Can I move some of the files around (like save files). 36 GB isn't alot, but enough for what I use.

Just trying to decide what parts and programs can be offloaded from the raptor.

Obviously music and pictures can, but what else to free up space?

Thanks.

4. nutman macrumors regular

Yes. You can choose to install where you want programs to be installed. Your setup will just be like the olden times when there was a dedicated c: drive and all the user data, the home folder stuff for the macheads, will go on the other drive.

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Any programs you want to run on Vista have to be installed on the hard drive where Vista resides or they won't run. You'll get an error message saying that "files needed for operation can't be found," or something to that effect. You can put data files, images, etc. anywhere you want them, but programs must be installed on the same hard drive as the operating system required to run them.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That is not true. I have always installed programs on secondary drive. As long as when installing, you select to install on the secondary drive. When installing, the app will default to C drive. You need to change that in options and select whatever drive you want. It's a very fast way to boot your OS. However, usually you would want to install programs on a fast drive. Store all setup files on a secondary drive. Install/save all small documents, music, movies, and etc on the secondary drive. Say with Vista , Office, a few common apps installed might take half the Raptor at most. Games are sometimes big but you need to determine where to install based on space available.

Sounds like fun. I used to play around with computers and loved trying anything to speed it up. Best wishes.

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

That explains why it's never worked for me. I stand corrected.