360: 120Gig HDD or HD-DVD Drive?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Markleshark, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

So as it's Christmas I'm going to treat myself, which would you guys buy and why? The 120Gig HDD or the HD DVD Drive?

I have no real rational reasons for wanting either other than I can, so go for it...

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Surely with that staff discount you could really splash out on yourself and buy both ;):)

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

I want both, but I don't think I can afford them both. It's really just a 'which first?' question... Leaning towards the HD DVD Drive. You have one MRU, is it worth buying? I know what I'm getting with the HDD like.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the HD-DVD drive is great. It's quiet (quieter than the 360 standard drive) and as long as you dont leave a disc in your 360's drive - the 360 & HD-DVD work together quietly (important if your watching a movie)

I have a load of HD-DVD's, and the 360 drive is still one of the best value as you get the film, the remote and the drive, ( + a voucher now for five free movies depending where you get it) so for the price it's good value for money.

The HDD just depends on how much you download. To be honest even though I got the Elite, I havent used any more space on the drive than I did with the 20GB model, so it's a little bit of a waste.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I used to want the 120gig harddrive, but with Connect360 and the new DivX support in the 360, I have no need to put videos on the console. These two work absolutely perfect for me, I really couldn't be happier. I usually have around 3-4gigs free on my 360 and I keep a bunch of demos on there.

I would go with the HD-DVD drive first, I think you'll get more enjoyment out of it. With the 120gig drive, really nothing changes about the system and you'll have to wait a while to have all your stuff transfered over. At least with the HD-DVD drive, you can use it right away with the included movie.

I personally buy most of my HD-DVDs online, through Amazon, I refuse to pay over $30 for a movie. But BestBuy is having a BOGO free deal right now that includes some great movies like Transformers and Shrek the Third. That is just this week though.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

HD DVD without a doubt. Just be prepared to end up buying a lot of films!! Since I went hidef, I've spent a fortune on HD DVDs and Bluray. Its so worth it though. Transformers is simply incredible on HD DVD.

If you're prepared to wait up to three weeks to get your films you can get them from Movietyme - they import them all from the states. Its much cheaper that way and HD DVD is region free. :)

8. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, pretty much think thats what I've decided on. Returning Mass effect :)o) so that'll make it a touch cheaper as well.

I will be downloading the Xbox Classics, which is the reason I was looking at the 120 Gig, but there are not many titles yet so that can wait for now. HD-DVD here I come. For £90 I don't even care if Blu-Ray wins. :cool:

Edit: Cheers Spanky Deluxe, Transformers is on the list anywho mind. As is 300 (Quite simply an epic film) can't wait to get it now. Play.com are doing Buy 2 get one free on some, so I think 300, Tranformers and Blood Diamond will be my first three. Get 5 from Microsoft as well. Good times.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Well you could get really into HD DVD and a few months down the line convince yourself that you should really go dual format and so of course you *need* a PS3... :rolleyes:

I've got 300 too but never watched it, its still sealed. It came free with my player but I never liked the look of that film. Transformers is seriously good in HD, I just finished watching it again about two minutes ago. Superman Returns is meant to be a very good HD transfer. If you get the HD player, keep an eye on the bargains forum on avforums. Anyone that finds a good deal puts it up there. I'm unwise enough to subscribe to that forum and its made me buy way too many films just because they were a 'good deal'.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Superman Returns ain't all that hot. It's one of the poorer HD movies I've seen. Not a huge difference over DVD

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

HD DVD drive, definitely.

I downloaded Star Trek in HD from XBox Live and the 720p versions only make your mouth water for the 1080 ones...

Just make sure you have the system for it, and only certain movies filmed or remastered for HD are the only ones really worth getting...

(anxiously awaits the arrival of "Blade Runner" in the mail...)

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've got the Star Trek Season 1 Boxset in HD DVD and it is simply incredible. I'm rationing watching it since I know it'll take them about a year before they release the next season. Watch maybe one a week roughly.

The films I want more than anything else to be remastered are all the Trek films and the LOTR films. Both are set to come to HD DVD rather than Blu-ray although not for a good while.

I've got Blade Runner too but haven't watched it yet, I keep buying all these darned films but don't watch them! I blame it on the girlfriend, she always wants to watch Hollyoaks and then Friends in the evenings and then she's 'too tired' for a film.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I just got the USA BladeRunner 5 disc set. Why the hell did they only give Europe a 2 disc version ?

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I have no idea. I've got the 5 disc one too. In the normal, non metal, box though. How they could fit that many disks into there is beyond me.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Europe has only a "Final Cut" on the HD version. We here in the US also get the "Theatrical Release", the "International Video Release", and the "Working Version" in the HD set. If Europeans want those versions, they have to get the standard DVD...

I'm confused with all the different releases of the film...

16. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Well I've decided on the HD-DVD Drive, have to wait till after Christmas though I'd say.

Going to get 'The Ultimate Bourne Collection' when they have that in stock at play.com. All 3 films in HD DVD for £32.99.

A quick HD question though, films that have already been made; they can then go back and master them into HD from the original recordings, right? It's not just some watered down computer trickery?

17. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Well the print you see in the cinema is beyond HD, as in seriously beyond 1080p. They just get that copy and size it for HD, no dirty trickery involved. I've got Space Odyssey 2001 and that looks simply incredible and was made long before even Laserdisks were invented. :)

I think you're eligible for five free HD DVDs via a form that you send off so you can get a few films that way. :)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The moment Apple lets us use 360 HD-DVD drives in DVD Player I'm buying one.

I was going to say get the HD-DVD drive but you've already settled on it :)

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I just picked this up on blu-ray...loving it. OP get the HD-DVD drive I think you'll get more use out of it now...wait until you really need HDD. Does the HDD come with the migration kit....if not then that sucks.

Bless

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Probably like how our PSP slim only comes with the console, mains adapter and manual :)

21. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, it does. Which is a good thing.

Carlisle match has been called off 2mora, so I'm prolly gonna clean the car and pop up the town and get a one. :)

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep that it exactly. Basically FILM is high resolution, just that we never had the means to be able to see it in its full detail before.

There is actually a lot of older films that look so much better in HD than a lot of newer movies which utlise a huge amount of post filtering, added grain and other gubbins.

23. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Well I am now the proud owner of a 360 HD DVD Drive. I also ended up buying 'Jarhead' and 'The Ultimate Bourne Collection' for myself as well, as the player only ended up costing me £36. :D

Just filled my form in for the 5 free ones from Microsoft, so I shall post that but gawd knows when I'll get them, hopefully they wont have a fit when they see my receipt... Muahahaha...

24. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

£36????? At that price I'd consider getting one in case Apple ever get round to supporting HD DVD!

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I assume that was staff discount ;)