360 about to get 'Ultimate'?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Jan 2, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://kotaku.com/339793/stuff-specs-out-the-xbox-360-ultimate

Bill Gates: MORE SKU'S!!!!!

[​IMG]

Honestly, 320GB HDD? Jesus Christ... what the hell for?! How many xbox originals to people plan to buy? How about making the premium bundle having more than a wussy 20GB instead? And a built-in HD-DVD drive? no... please no... make the ****ing format BS die already... please...

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is getting silly now, you too Sony.

Cut price, decrease storage capacity, wait a bit and increase storage capacity, add a port, nip/tuck here and there.

Would have been nice if they just properly thought out a single SKU and kept it that way. Ho hum. I mean I thought the benefit of playing consoles over PC's is the lack of updates. Only thing is you can't just buy a cheap update, oooh no - you need to buy a whole new system :rolleyes:

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think, if its true, They'd market it as a DVR, that can do Xbox games.

But if they do market it as an SKU, they shouldn't have made an Elite model.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That catostrophically failed for Sony and they're in said market! I don't think they'll do this. Just another excuse to keep MS from dropping the price of the high end 360.

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Sony had it right (if you wanna do 2 SKUs) with the 20 vs. 60GB because losing some HDD space and Wireless isn't crippling. They screwed up with the 60 vs 80 vs 40 because they aren't all able to do everything (B/C being the biggie). To make the 'real' SKU and then the cheap-o SKU for people who are on the fence is a good idea.

But Sony's 40/60/80 and MS with Core/20/120/Halo3/(Ultimate?) like Jesus... how many do you need? MS already screwed up with the Core since devs can't use installs (which sucks with games like hm... Mass Effect)

6. deggs37 macrumors member

Don't forget the 360 Arcade bundle.

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

If I buy this system, I'll CLEARLY be better than any elite owners, because I'll be ULTIMATE!!! How will anyone that has already bought a 360 live with the thought that something BETTER is going to be be released. :p

I'm still holding out for this one. It's guaranteed not to break:
    [​IMG]

<]=)

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You know...I no longer trust Kotaku ever since they horribly misquoted me to make my interviewee look stupid, so I always follow the source.

Source states:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't the 360 Premium have all of this except for the bigger hard drive and cooler running (fan+65nm)?

Also, aren't 2.5" 320 GB drives incredibly expensive right now, almost as much as a 360 Core? Only Western Digital makes notebook drives that big, and they sell them at $200 online right now. Even NewEgg (usually one of the cheapest resellers) only has them at $200, and Best Buy and CompUSA don't even carry it.

EDIT: Ah right, Wi-Fi is built in. I forgot that Microsoft is the only one that charges a ridiculous $99 extra- almost as much as a DS, which has one built in.

In fact, Microsoft is both the only company to charge for WiFi (all current PS3, DS, and Wii models have it built in) and the only company to charge for online play. Seriously, anyone who defends this is just silly at this point. Microsoft's system clearly has the worst TCO if you're playing online. Some people will say "you don't need WiFi!" and I've even heard some silly person a while back saying that WiFi was useless for gaming, but anyone saying that kind of stuff is just evading the point.

9. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^

MS gets off because XBL is fantastic. If Sony can get something up to that level it would be great since it would force MS to a) do something new or b) cut the price of XBL which would be awesome since I would rather buy a new game than XBL.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Ultimate? Snore.

Call me when they get Triple XXXtreme.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think if this do come to the front its only MS way of playing catch up to what Sony did with the PS3(including these things at the begining)...which is a good thing for those who don't have an xbox but too many SKUs are confusing people....I hope they drop one if they add this one to the mix.

They should of done what Nintendo did and dont add a HDD at all and make everyone life miserable...at least its only one SKU.

Bless

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The 360 and IPTV is really what interests me. Not necessarily as a consumer, but from an entertainment industry standpoint. Between games, Live, IPTV,DVR, movie downloads, and the HD-DVD add-on M$ is making a very strong move to the be the living room media-hub that they've been gunning for for so long. If this is all true and the price isn't insane Apple better have some cool iTMS & :apple:TV announcements at MWSF to steal some of MS's thunder.

Lethal

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I agree with this. IPTV really interests me, it just feels like the wave of the future...

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IPTV can go run. I've said before how Freeview TV takes up about 4.5mbps for a 576i signal with decent codecs. What speed broadband am I going to need to get the same quality video and be able to use the internet too?

"Antoni, Nicole... get the **** off Xbox Live and Google Earth you're lagging out Emmerdale"

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I wish SKUs would go the way of the dodo. My friend is looking to get a 360, and called me about all the SKUs MS is featuring. Arcade, Premium, Elite, Halo.....etc. How silly.

Someone mentioned - one of the main appeals of consoles, simplicity.

Buy console, take out of box. Buy game, take out of box. Play. Repeat.

Repeat too often, red rings. Arrrrggghhhhh!

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree one SKU is always best.... however it seems that Microsoft love to offer 65 versions of the same product....

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

only 65? :D

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Cool it everyone (pun intended)...

I heard that MS was going to release a version to compete with the 80 Gig PS3 and the new $399 PS3 (40Gig)

Remember that the Halo version is really a limited version.

MS will also start using the cooler chips.

New prices and Specs? (IMHO)

Core: $249
    Premium (20Gig): $299
    Elite (120Gig): $349
    Ultimate (120Gig, HD DVD, wireless): $399

They have to try to stay ahead of Sony. I got my 40Gig PS3 for $299 after a rebate. Some places are giving away an extra controller. Then add in the 5 free BD movies...

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, all these different editions are getting out of hand. it seems like they are just trying to get the 360 more like the PS3

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This pricing seems unrealistic; only $49 to add both WiFi (a normally $99 addon) and HD-DVD (a normally $199 addon, and unlike WiFi, not selling with huge profit margins).

Unless Microsoft is selling the Elite at considerable profit or the Ultimate at a big loss, this doesn't make sense. It would also make anyone who buys the Elite over Ultimate a moron. Now maybe if you make Ultimate $449...

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Huh? The PS3 only has two SKUs at any one time and has had a total of four.

Microsoft has had two at launch and three or four at any one time since. Let's see...

XBox 360 Core, XBox 360 Arcade, XBox 360 Premium, XBox 360 Elite, XBox 360 Halo Edition...

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I might think about it as long as it's not in fracking black.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So pink polka dots Mr.Blobby style it is then ;):D

25. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Nahhhhh. ;) Has to be white to match everything. Ohhh, they could offer both colours, that should satisfy Bills blood lust for SKUs.