360-degree scrolling behavior

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by yongren, Sep 21, 2011.

1. yongren macrumors regular

I might be crazy, but I could have sworn that in earlier versions of OS X, 360-degree scrolling behaved differently from the way it currently does...

Before, I thought, it was like this—If you started scrolling vertically, you would be locked into a vertical scroll; if you started scrolling horizontally, you would be locked into a horizontal scroll. If you started scrolling diagonally, on the other hand, you would have 360-degree freedom to pan the page or image below the screen naturally. Now, the latter behavior seems to be default—there's no way to lock-in vertical scrolling.

I liked the old way because if you had a web page zoomed in, you could scroll down naturally while reading without accidentally pushing the image off to the side if you accidentally didn't move your fingers in a perfectly straight line.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Is there a way to change this setting?

2. blueExcess macrumors newbie

So I just tried to test it. Zoomed in on this page, and it won't let me scroll 2 directions simultaneously. Seems locked in to me. Maybe it's one of your settings?

3. ceej macrumors member

I don't know if or what's unlocked, but I can scroll any way without being locked in upon zooming