360 games well worth *buying*?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by apfhex, Feb 2, 2009.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I only own a couple 360 games so far (Left 4 Dead, Burnout Paradise) and have been renting through GameFly, but I'd enjoy actually owning a few more games. I'm concerned about gameplay length and replayability (not necessarily including online). I'd rather rent a short solo game like Price of Persia (which is just what I did), but if a game is longer like 15+ hours, might be worth a buy.

Some considerations:
    - Dead Space
    - Fable II
    - Call of Duty 4 or 5 (is the online really good or too filled with wankers?)

Already have Fallout 3 for PC and was going to play the PC version of Mass Effect too since I hear it's a little better. Not interested in Gears 2 or Halo 3 just yet. Might get Halo Wars if I really like the demo, but that's not out yet. Thoughts?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Fable 2 really is enjoyable, and the expansion is a very good addition too.

I've clocked up a lot of hours in both Viva Pinata : Trouble in Paradise, and Banjo-Kazzooie : Nuts & Bolts too.

The only thing I can really suggest is download more demos, and rent a few prospective purchases first and decide for yourself. Everyones tastes vary...

There are some good games coming next couple of months too...

4. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    +1 for Fable 2 and Dead Space is a great game, especially in surround sound in a darkened room. I really love Oblivion as well, but you have to be willing to put the hours in.

I have Mass Effect and I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure how it measures up to the PC version since I haven't played it!

5. pcypert macrumors 6502

Depends on games you like. Games I've enjoyed on 360:

Dead Space
    Fallout 3
    GTA4
    FIFA09
    Left 4 Dead
    GeOW2
    Fable 2
    Tales of Vesp
    Silent Hill
    Far Cry 2
    Grid
    Forza 2
    Mirror's Edge
    Prince of Persia

Odder ones I liked are
    Viva Pinata 1 and 2
    Katamari

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Burnout Paradise
    Bioshock
    Assassins Creed
    Gears of War 1 & 2, I know you said you're not interested in them, but they are really good. 1 is very cheap right now.
    Skate (I haven't tried Skate 2 yet)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've really been enjoying-

Fable 2
    Skate 2
    Worms (XBLA)
    Fallout 3

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Crackdown. Stupid game with no story BUT is fun as hell.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed..... Really was a cracking 'game', which served no purpose but to entertain and it did that in spades. :)

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

GTA4
    Rock Band 2

Mirrors Edge is fun but its more a rental.

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Better than WaW imo,

Left 4 Dead
    CoD 4
    Halo 3
    Gears of War 2
    Fallout 3
    Skate ( I haven't played Skate 2)

ChrisN

12. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I'm playing Skate 2, Call of Duty: World at War, FIFA 09, NHL 09 and NBA 2K9 currently. COD W@W is a definite buy IMO.

13. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Own Burnout (see my post :)), played Bioshock and Asassins Creed, rented Prince of Persia (though with new DLC coming out, hmm...), just finished Gears 1 and am going to probably rent Gears 2 soon enough.

Mind you I'm asking what games are long/fantastic/replayable enough to be worth putting down $50-$60 on. I have a huge list of games to *play* for sure. And I've demos for most of them. Just thought, if I can get a huge play time out of a game (like I hear you can with Fable II if you do all the extras), I'd probably want to own it so I can take my time. I'm definitely wanting to play Dead Space, just not sure if it's a renter or not.

Oh, and go ahead and cross off sports and rhythm (Guitar Hero-type) games. Not interested in the former and friends have the later that I can play, thought I'm not too into those much either.

14. muldul macrumors 6502

Fear 2 when it is released in a week or so
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Far Cry 2
    Amped 3

15. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I never buy a full price game, only second hand or on a good offer. Wait a month or two after release date and you'll never have to pay more than 1/3 of retail price for a game.

I've been thinking of getting a netflix type rental subscription, but with a 3yr old and a 4mth old I play games really slowly.

16. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

I dunno, for big name titles I haven't seen much of a price drop. Call of Duty 4 is still $60 new (and not many good deals used that I saw last time I looked) which is one of the reasons I haven't gotten it. That said, Dead Space is $50 new anyway, so I might trade in some things as GameStop (evil though they may be) and get that, and possibly pickup Fable II used on Amazon or elsewhere for that 1/3 retail price. Halo Wars is a strong possibility too depending on how well the controls work, haven't played a good RTS in a while.

17. pcypert macrumors 6502

Can't believe I missed Crackdown. Really great game, and you can find it for 20 bucks a lot of places...

18. RRutter macrumors 6502

1. Call of Duty 4
    2. Fallout 3
    3. Mirror's Edge

Those are my top 3 favorite games (def. not in order) all these are definitley tied.

It really depends on which you would get if you only had one..

If have online, Call of Duty 4 DEFINITELY.

If you're offline only, Fallout 3, than once you get more money Mirror's Edge.

19. JonMan macrumors member

GTA IV can be picked up used for around $30. Another game I really enjoyed is Kameo, which can be picked up for $15 or so.

Happy gaming!

20. begoo macrumors newbie

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For me

Halo 3 of all my games i keep going back 2.
    Assainse Creed is fun to play through but gets repetivve after a while and once you figure it out is gets really boring.

Fable 2 I have logged quite a few hours on.

Fonza 2 is a game I like if you are into racing.

Ace of Combat 6 is a great game that I have logged a lot of hours on and trying to do some thing on my 2nd run though.

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

COD:4 Modern Warfare is the best game that I play. Also Rainbow Six Vegas 2, but I would wait and buy the new Tom Clancy game thats coming out. Its like HAWX or something?

23. kabunaru Guest

24. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

I just played the Mac version of CoD4 (single player) and liked it a lot. I'd consider WaW for 360 (I have friends that play it there), except I like FPS games with a mouse and keyboard so much more.

HAWX, yeah, demo was fun I guess, maybe a rental later. Tom Clancy didn't have anything to do with it though, they just slapped the name on it to sell.

I didn't see anyone recommend it but I discovered the Pure demo and loved it! For now, I bought Dead Space on trade-in credit and nabbed Fable 2 online for cheap. Those and my GameFly rentals (currently Mirrors Edge - fun but frustrating sometimes) are keeping me plenty busy.

25. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I have the PS3 version of Dead Space and I haven't found it to be all that enjoyable.

The interface is quirky, graphics not that appealing, and the story line isn't all that great. As for replayability, I haven't found much use to play it over again.

I would say though CoD4, Left 4 Dead, etc. as definite picks.

Crawn