360 HD-DVD Owners - Whoops

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Shacklebolt, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Any regret over your purchase? I'm perfectly fine with it, and the, what, 6 HD DVDs I own. Then again, I also own a PS3, so format war hasn't been much of a problem.

But right, the HD-DVD drive still works, still plays HD-DVDs and I'm sure both will get price SLASHED in the near future, and does make regular DVDs look better. I'd advise picking one up for cheap should you get the opportunity. If you want your 360 to double as a DVD player, it is FAR quieter, probably prolongs the live of the 360 itself. So yeah, they're going to be very cheap.

FWIW, this one is definitely glad that HD format war is at least over. Next target - the standard DVD.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No regrets here, in fact today I picked up six new (heavily discounted) movies for it. That brings me up to 24.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It was €150, came with a €30 remote and a €30 HD-DVD (king kong)

Why regret somthing. It was fairly inexpensive, and even though I also have two ps3's I have no intentions of re-buying the HD-DVD films I bought on blu-ray. The movies wont look any better if I do so whats the point?

Nah not bothered in the slightest.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

I'm still Loving my Bourne Collection HDDVD's

:rolleyes:

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I got mine originally on sale for $160 ($40 off when it was first introduced at the holidays).

I love it - plays some regular DVDs (the interlaced ones) much better in 480p than my very old Pioneer Elite DVD player.

I have about a dozen movies - all great. Most are, right now, only on HD DVD, and a couple of others the VC-1 HD DVD looks better than the MPEG-2 Blu-ray version.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't regret it really but I have no intention of buying any more HD-DVD's. Family and friends tend to borrow my discs and eventually they'll get up to speed in a few years and be mooching off my discs again. So I'll just be waiting for them to rerelease movies on the Blu-Ray.

7. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I only just realised that in the Eilte's they have HD-DVD drives. i wonder if they will continue to just use HD-DVD drives for the games anyway or maybe they might stick in a blu ray drive that will play existing HD DVD stuff?

Kind of makes it pointless selling elite's with HD drives unless they start making games on HD DVD's

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If I could figure out where to get the drivers to mount the drive on my MBP (in Windows) and rip those HD-DVDs to my hard drive before they crumble into dust, I wouldn't regret it! :)

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yes ! i feel the need to rip my Bourne and Riddick collection to Apple TV

there must be a way ?

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Elites do not have HD-DVD drives built in. They have HDMI and a larger hard drive and I think one more thing but that's about it.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There is (with AnyDVD), but you need to have the drivers to mount the HD-DVD drive on Windows. Every link I've followed to download those is broken.

On OSX, you have the drivers to mount the drive, but not the software to rip it. Grrrrr.

12. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

False. But if Microsoft would've done this from launch the format war would've been alot closer than it was.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They are black.

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So.... No more HD-DVDs are goin to be produced? BluRay won?

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I *think* the studios are still committed to HD DVD releases until May... then it's over.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

AnyDVD can read the discs without a separate filesystem driver. You can't see the contents of the disc in Explorer, but AnyDVD can still read it.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Toshiba will be totally out by the end of March, I doubt the studios will continue to produce movies till May.

Expect announcements from Universal & Paramount soon, or at least once their contract is freed from Toshiba.

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Universal Studios already announced their move to Blu-ray. It came just a few hours after Toshiba's announcement.

However, they haven't detailed their transition as of yet.

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate. While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Universal__Studios_Goes_Blu/1483

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Being a PS3 owner and XBOX360 (minus the HD-DVD) I almost jumped just for the Bourne Trilogy :(

Soon enough though!

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

No studio will put any new releases on HD DVD now, all you will see is them clearing out their stock of the current remaining HD DVD's however long that lasts. I have a feeling the retail channels will close up pretty fast now that Toshiba has bailed out.

Ed

21. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

oh right, i stand corrected but i could have sworn that i had an email sent to me with pics of the elite with built in HD-DVD?? maybe i dreamt it lol :D

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

According to:

http://www.highdefdigest.com

May 27th is the last HD DVD release - "Twister!"

Here's the schedule:

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

What's the big deal about the Bourne Trilogy? I have seen a lot of people mentioning it both on the Blu-ray and HD-DVD side....and DVD. Is it THAT good of a movie series that people are so excited about it? Having never seen any of them, I don't get it. I don't believe it won any awards on any of the award shows.....

What happens to people when their HD-DVD players/drives die? The discs then become fancy drink coasters? Think about it, a disc will typically last a lot longer than any player. Unlike DVD's or Blu-ray, when an HD-DVD player dies, you will not be able to easily replace it. People should think twice before buying any more HD-DVD discs.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Kinda fitting as that was the first movie released on DVD back in '96, IIRC.

Lethal

25. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

All of this is subject to change at any time. I remember before Paramount made a quick 150 million payoff that they had BD released through the year, once they accepted their easy money payoff the releases dissapeared.

Without hardware support no studio in their right mind will produce new software for HD DVD. Since Toshiba pulled the plug on HD DVD and said it will no longer exist at the end of March I would take that as a sign that there will be no new releases for HD DVD beyond that point.

If the disc is already mastered and sitting in a werehouse there is a chance that it will get released, current stock until its depleted will be there, but no studio will be making new software for a hardware platform that no longer exists.