360 HD video streaming cap

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by 4fingered, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 4fingered macrumors member

So I have recently been streaming HD videos to my 360 to watch on my HDTV, but I have a question. Why is it that they have a cap on the size of the file? Anything over 4gigs will not stream. Is it that it can't send that ammount of information at a time or something? Also is there away around this without haveing to chop up the file or compress it?

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I would assume that it either has something to do with M$ being evil and not liking people or that the computer is formated in a FAT32 format. That blocks transfers over 4gb. But this is with streaming, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

3. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

yeah it's weird because I hear that PS3 does the same thing and you can't stream a file that's over 4 gigs. I think I'll just cut the credits off some of the HD movies and try it again though this is a pain in the ass. I don't get that they boast about HD streaming and then put a cap on it. If a movie is in HD if it's over 1 hour and 45 minutes it's going to be bigger then 4gigs come on guys.