360: internet needed to play mp4s?!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by irishgrizzly, Nov 6, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Whenever I want to play mp4 files from an external drive on the 360 it says they're not currently supported and to go online. I do, plug in cable and then sign-in to live. Only then will I be able to watch the files. But I have to do this every time I want to watch them. WTF? anybody have this?

I don't mind that much – being plugged in most of the time – but I worried if the net goes down some rainy Sunday I won't be able to enjoy watching some flicks cos of it.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Never noticed that before. I'll have a go myself later and report back.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm gonna make some guesses so if I'm wrong... meh.

You downloaded the AAC plugin on your 360, you then for some reason (dead 360 for instance) moved that hard drive to a new 360. The AAC plugin is tagged to your gamer card and to your old 360. One of the things has to be present for the plugin to work. Since the old 360 isn't you have to sign in. I would remove the plugin and redownload it (since it's free).

Edit: for some reason I thought you were talking about audio but you mean video... still might be the same issue... but no idea. See if there is an MP4 plugin (I have read online that there is) and delete it and redownload it if you can.

4. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks SP, I did get swap it for a new machine due to games freezing on me, but I kept the HD. I think the mp4 plugin would be part of the last os update. I'd have to wipe the drive and lose all my game saves in the process, nuts X_X

5. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Do you actually have to sign into live or just into your gamer tag?

I'm having the same "problem" as you, but I didn't think that I actually had to be signed into live, just my gamer tag. I could be wrong though since I always sign into live. That would suck if I needed internet access to watch a movie.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow i did not know this. i guess i won't be watching those files on mine!

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What? The MPEG-4 and H.264 playback capability requires an additional codec support package from XBOX Live. Items you download from Live (Arcade Games, Videos, Codecs, etc) are all tied to your Live Account AND the console you originally downloaded the content on.

Since your console was replaced, the codec package that is on your hard drive thinks you are using a different console (because you are) and is requiring you to sign-in in order to verify that you have the rights to that content.

The MPEG-4 codec is installed separately so that Microsoft doesn't have to pay a royalty to the MPEG Group for every XBOX 360 sold.

Out of coincidence, do your XBOX Live Arcade games play without being signed in?

If this really bothers you, you need to call the XBOX support line and complain. They can do something on their end to fix the problem. Of course, you would have to re-download all your Live content.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Via XBOX Support, to fix this "issue":

1. Create a new profile
    2. Sign up for a new XBOX Live Silver account (on this profile)
    3. Go to Marketplace Blade - > Games - > All Games
    4. Find "Optional Media Update"
    5. Install and switch back to original profile
    6. MPEG 4 Audio and Video codecs will now be reattached to console

9. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks jaw! it worked a treat. I wonder can I delete the new profile, not that it matters really! :)