360 is Loud! Is the iMac Quieter?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by tom5304, Aug 9, 2007.

1. tom5304 macrumors regular

I just bought a Xbox 360 Premium, and that thing has much more fan noise than I imagined.

Although it doesn't matter much when I'm playing an action game, it's going to be a distraction when playing RPGs, and there's no way I'm playing any DVDs on the 360 with that much background noise.

I know the MacMini is really quiet, but what I'd like to know is if the iMacs, both the previous generation and the new generation, will be noticeably more quiet than the 360.

I prefer playing games on a computer instead of a console, so I'm thinking of doing a quick return on the 360 and picking up a refurbished iMac instead. Before anyone starts up on the lack of games for the Mac or the poor video cards, I'm a casual gamer and I don't mind playing two-year-old games or playing games with less than 100% of the effects on.

Any thoughts on whether an iMac is a good solution if I have a low tolerance for ambient sound?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dude a motor boat is quieter than the 360...just turn up the sound and enjoy the visual/gameplay.

iMacs are quiet....sometimes every now and again the fan will turn on but even that is nothing to the 360 whirlwind.

The new imacs can handle some good games....go for it.

Bless

3. tom5304 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, a motor boat or a personal watercraft!

Well, I think I'll ditch the 360 and stick to computer gaming. When I aim for a Nazi soldier's head from 100 yards, I want a mouse in my hand and not a big clunky game pad.

I just got back from the Apple Store in Pleasanton, CA, and I kind of fell in love with the new 20" iMac. That glossy screen would present no problems in the room where my computer sits, and it looks incredibly crisp. Also, after seeing it in person, I like new look better than the old white plastic look. Even the keyboard surprised me with it's feel.

Before anyone criticizes the new iMac, they really need to get down to a store and see it in person. I thought it was great.

4. progx macrumors regular

progx

If you're comparing the Xbox 360 to the iMac G5, then the iMac is slightly better. Although, the one we had in the radio station at my college, got abused pretty bad, now its got a good sound to it. :(

Comparing the Xbox 360 to the new iMacs, is apples and oranges, they're different machines.

Xbox 360 uses G5s, new iMacs use Intel.