Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I'll be getting non-modded (un-modded?) 360 in the next few weeks so I'll finally be able to play some online games. But I'm totally lost at what to do!

Do you put your credit card details in and it takes out £40 (or whatever the annual cost is) straight away?
How do you add friends and such?
Is that controller/keyboard out yet?
Can 2 360's go online with the same game disc (at different times of course), they're not locked are they?
Is the 360 region free without a modded drive?

Yea I know. Raggedjimmi. With 2 360's :D

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
You can just put in your credit card and use it to buy an Xbox Live subscription or Microsoft Points, or if you don't wanna do that, you can get both of them at any electronics retailer.
If you know the gamertag of the person you wanna friend, just go to the Xbox Live tab, click on friends, and add friends is at the top of your list of friends. If you are in a game and wanna friend somebody in your online game, just press the button to look at their gamer profile, and you can send them a friend request. If you just played a game with someone you want to friend, one of the tabs under the friends is a list of people you recently played with.
I know the keyboard is out in the U.S, not sure about other places...

"Can 2 360's go online with the same game disc (at different times of course), they're not locked are they?"
If I understand your question correctly, you can use one disc with both your 360s, or if you wanted to take it over to a friends house, you can do that too.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the 360 is region locked.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
1. If you don't have an Xbox Live account, then yes, it'll take out whatever the cost is in your region immediately. Say you paid for 12 months - you won't pay again for another twelve.
2. Say you meet someone in a game. Usually the game will offer some method of selecting their Gamertag - then picking that will take you to their profile, and there will be an option which says 'Add to friends list' or somesuch.
3. I think so.
4. Sure.
5. Don't think so.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
See this region free part confuses me. On my modded 360 I can pretty much play anything, and I'm sure my brother has imported games from China and Canada and they work fine. Or they could be PAL copies mistakenly sent there and the stores are selling them for cheap :)

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
See this region free part confuses me. On my modded 360 I can pretty much play anything, and I'm sure my brother has imported games from China and Canada and they work fine. Or they could be PAL copies mistakenly sent there and the stores are selling them for cheap :)

I'm not really following your logic, couldn't part of the reason for modding the 360 be to make it region free, in addition to other things? :confused:

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not really following your logic, couldn't part of the reason for modding the 360 be to make it region free, in addition to other things? :confused:

Well the story goes- My bro got a broke, but modded 360 at work. We fixed it and he gave it to me. But I don't go online with it for a few reasons, one being I don't want to tempt fate going online with a modded system. Now I don't want a modded system.
But some non-UK games seem to work on my bro's unmodded system. I just want to know the details of that. Like if it's the same with all games? Or only games from a specific region?

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Not a clue - I'd recommend buying the cards instead of doing it over XBL itself, as sometimes it's cheaper, and you can pick up store-only things like student discount

It's in the "friends" panel on the XBL blade, just select "add friend" and spend forever and a day trying to input their gamertag :D

As far as region free goes, it's up to the developer. Some games are, some games aren't. I tend to use play-asia to check, but a number of places on the web have a list

And no, disks aren't locked to one console - M$ aren't quite Sony just yet

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you put your credit card details in and it takes out £40 (or whatever the annual cost is) straight away?

Yes. You buy your points to whatever value and it debits your card.

How do you add friends and such?

Very simply. Input name and send request. They accept and sorted. No long digit codes or extra input needed.

Is that controller/keyboard out yet?

Yes buy it on ebay

Can 2 360's go online with the same game disc (at different times of course), they're not locked are they?

No. As long as your 2 360's have active Live membership then play away no problem. Games are not locked to specific accounts.

Is the 360 region free without a modded drive?

The majority of games that come out are region free, with odd exceptions like THQ and EA titles.

Bioshock for example and BlueDragon US is region free. Play-Asia will keep you informed and can save you signifcant ££££££ ;)

Yea I know. Raggedjimmi. With 2 360's :D

Bless :p Bout time you caught up....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can people please shed light on this? This is the first I am hearing of this.

Games are not locked to a console. Never have been and never will be. So what light is there to shed ?

Unless your talking about LIVE! Arcade titles in which they are locked to the 'gamertag' that purchased them and not console.

There was rumor that the PS3 would lock games to each console and thereby destroy the second hand trade-in market. But this never happened. So still nothing to tell.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Crap, I was hoping on getting my bro's Live Arcade games :mad:
Still I think Castlevania SotN will be the only one I'll stick playing. Had a game on Worms last night but it wasn't all that hot.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Crap, I was hoping on getting my bro's Live Arcade games :mad: .

V. simple solution.

Copy them to your HDD and use his gamertag when you want to play them. You can add more than one tag to your 360, simply just log-in with his tag when you want to play his Live! games.

If you struggle to copy, simply add his gamertag and then re-download the game onto your HDD. It will unlock automatically as he has already purchased it.

No problem....... ;)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I heard there is newer firmware that so far cant be banned.

I dunno though, since I dont have a 360. I want one terribly though, but bills gotta come first in life.

The only thing that gets banned is the console, not the Live account.

So, it never hurts to try before you go out and drop all that money on another unit.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I played online constantly with a modded 360 (though think it might have just been a flashed drive not a hardware job) when I had mine. No worries on any of them at this point. The rumor is that IF a ban comes it'll come around Halo 3 which is when the last one rolled out for the Xbox (but that was actually more to combat cheating in game but happened to get modded boxes as well). So you're cool for now.

A lot of people are also saying they make more money with Live and won't ban folks this time around for modded boxes as it'd kill their most profitable successful line...who knows?

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.