Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm curious - why is it that people say online gaming is so much better on the xbox because there are more people online? You can't play with more than like 32 people (depending on the game) at the same time anyways, so who cares if there are thousands or millions playing at the same time as you?

I've done quite a lot of online gaming on the PS3 (Warhawk, Resistance, Rainbow6), and frankly, there have always been PLENTY of servers/games to choose from, loaded with people. NOT ONCE was there a shortage of servers/players.

Maybe there are even more people on xbox live, but I just don't see the benefit of it. :confused:

You're not saying that to enjoy an online system you online need 32 people playing worldwide?
There are still thousands of people Mario Kart DS, but it doesn't make match finding easy as there are so many parameters for matches that can cut thousands of people down to just a handful. Ping latency, game options all come into account.

More is better, don't let Sony tell you any different ;)

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Both systems have good exclusives and both share 95% of the same multiplatform games.

Pick the exclusives you'd rather have and buy that system. Or do the smart thing and buy both even if it's one now and one later.

irbdavid

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
Which of the two (360 / PS3) makes the best media-centre, particularly from the point of view of a mac user? I don't want to have to fire up my PC all the time to get content onto a 360.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Which of the two (360 / PS3) makes the best media-centre, particularly from the point of view of a mac user? I don't want to have to fire up my PC all the time to get content onto a 360.

You can connect to your 360 from your Mac with Connect360. You can stream all of your music, videos and pics with it. I've only used the limited demo, but it works very well.

I can't vouch for the PS3's media center capabilities as I don't have one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

As Fezwck says the 360 wins this because of Connect 360.

There is no application at the moment that allows this streaming to PS3 from our macs. So to be honest it's a one horse race until one arrives.

Connect 360 works very well I may add.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I just did a search for a mac-to-ps3 streaming app, because I was curious and found this:
http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Regardless of how it works, It's available. ;)

If I ever go down this streaming route, I'll just buy an AppleTV, but I really don't see a need for it or any other setup at this time, since I pay for Dish Network and NetFlix, and I don't do that torrent thing.

<]=)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I just did a search for a mac-to-ps3 streaming app, because I was curious and found this:
http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Regardless of how it works, It's available. ;)

Just because it's available doesn't make it a viable alternative. There is nothing like Connect 360 for PS3. In fact, there are no major DLNA/UPNP servers on the Mac.

I have both consoles, but I would recommend the XBOX 360.

Microsoft took a page from Apple's book by closing down the 360, and making developers agree to implement integrated features that make all the 360's games' features somewhat uniform (integrated chat, mandatory achievements, integrated XBOX Live support, etc). The 360's Dashboard interface is colorful, appealing and easy to use. The integrated media connectivity is outstanding (Media Center Extender support, built-in media audio and video player, visualizations, excellent support of major audio and video codecs (H.264, MPEG-4 and WMV), etc. And the sheer amount of titles (exclusive and non-exclusive) make the 360 a great console.

The XBOX 360 just feels polished (software wise).

I don't plan on ditching my PS3 anytime soon. It's a fantastic DVD and Blu-ray player, and there are some great exclusives like Warhawk and Ratchet and Clank. However, the PS3 feels pieced together. This may change with Home, but Sony is going to have to really shake up their Playstation division for that to happen.

It's like there are all these fantastic features (video chat support, etc), but they're not integrated into actual gameplay or even available as an overlay. I just don't get it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
twonky isn't working well for me. Just get DNLA error all the time, and cant find where it is installed on my mac to see how to configure it ?

Think I'll give up for the night and try tomorrow.

Connect 360 for me was a simple case of install, and turn on.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
hmm,I have both and like both for different reasons.As far as game library the 360 wins easily,but as far as hardware the PS3 is far superior.xbox live however is the best online experience on a console.

I think the PS3 has more potential for the future,I mean they will eventually get a better game selection.

The 360 hardware will stay clunky.My first 360 got the red ring within 8 months,now with my replacement system,I have to pry the disc drive open with a pocket knife.And it has constant problems reading brand new discs.

Rovias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Thanks for the input, everyone. After reading all of your insightful posts and internally debating which games I'm looking forward to, I actually have decided to go with the PS3 instead. It seems $50 bucks more will get me a lot. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly!

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Thanks for the input, everyone. After reading all of your insightful posts and internally debating which games I'm looking forward to, I actually have decided to go with the PS3 instead. It seems $50 bucks more will get me a lot. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly!

OK, and if you want to try something I heard this coupon for K-mart works at "most" K-marts for 20% off anything (PS3 included).

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/deals/de...3-for-319-xbox-360-premium-for-279-321783.php

It says it isn't supposed to be copied but what cashier reads small print, and if you click the source link to the Blu ray forums almost all of the people who tried got it to work, I called up and the person said it should work but she needs to see the coupon.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Seems that everyone has already made the main points. For what it's worth, I have the 360 and I do not regret it for a second. The 360 has better exclusive titles, a WAY better online experience, better graphics (see: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=result;title;0 ), and more higher rated games (see: http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/ vs. http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/ ), and I just like it more. But, the ps3 has promise and a few exclusives that I would really like to play. The ps3 is also the best deal on a blu ray player at the moment, so if you have an HDTV that could make the decision for you, but blu ray prices will keep dropping while you rock out on your 360.

To break it down:

If you're a gamer, go for the 360.

If you're into HD movies, go for the ps3.

Just my opinion. But, I love Halo and first person shooters, so I favor the platform that does them better...

-Ado

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Seems that everyone has already made the main points. For what it's worth, I have the 360 and I do not regret it for a second. The 360 has better exclusive titles, a WAY better online experience, better graphics (see: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=result;title;0 ), and more higher rated games (see: http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/ vs. http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/ ), and I just like it more. But, the ps3 has promise and a few exclusives that I would really like to play. The ps3 is also the best deal on a blu ray player at the moment, so if you have an HDTV that could make the decision for you, but blu ray prices will keep dropping while you rock out on your 360.

To break it down:

If you're a gamer, go for the 360.

If you're into HD movies, go for the ps3.

Just my opinion. But, I love Halo and first person shooters, so I favor the platform that does them better...

-Ado

Well... I'm a gamer who's getting a PS3, I guess I'd rather play RnC, Warhawk, Uncharted, and etc than Halo. And lot's of the comparison shots are old ones, when people didn't know how to develop for a PS3, now I've seen almost exact graphics shots (saw some CoD4 comparisons). But some of your points are fine. At the moment the PS3 and 360 are so identical all it comes down to is what games you want and if you want to pay for HD vid, wi-fi and online play.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I got a 360 only for Gears of War (but have sinced bought several other games). I like the 360. Halo 3 was okay, but way too short of a game.

I had a PS2, and loved the Ratchet and Clank series.

My brand new 360 Red Ringed at about 3 months old. I sent it in for repair, and got a different box back that runs hotter and much louder. If they fix the Red Ring of Death, then I think the 360 is the way to go. If not, go PS3.

I love XBox Live gaming. It is so much fun. I play Gears, Madden, Halo 3, Rainbow 6, Forza (awesome racing game) and several others. I really like my 360, but hate the RRoD issue. I am glad M$ extended the warranty to 3 years for RRoD. That makes me feel better.

However, I like that the PS3 offers Blue Ray (sp?)

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
We have a thread like this somewhere.....
Haha it may of been the one I started around this same time last year...If memory serves correctly, I think we pretty much decided the 360 was a better package... I for one am very satisfied with my 360, but the PS3 has gone down in price and with the Blu-Ray component and growing game library...well let's just say it's a close call. At this point I personally still see the 360 as a better overall console, but that's just because it better satisfies my taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.