Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petercrwfd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I recently acquired a used macbook pro with a 2.16 intel core duo processor. It seems to me that the fans ramp up too high too quickly, making the unit quite noisy. I have opened it up and looked inside to check the fans for dust and they look clean as does the rest of the interior of the computer. I installed a temp/fan monitoring application which tells me that at the moment, the cpu temp is 38 degrees C and the fans are bot running at about 5495 rpm.ns

Leaving the case open for more air circulation for 5-10 minutes gets the temp down to 33 degrees C and the fans down to about 3600 rpm, which still seems like high speeds relative to the temp and an odd icrement jump for just a few degrees temp difference.

Is this normal for a macbook? I have never had one before and do not have a baseline for normal, but my instinct says that the fans are running excessively fast.

Any thoughts / suggestions are greatly appreciated.....:confused:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
i just tried an SMC reset with no effect.

Your fans are indeed running way too high for no apparent reason.
That generation MBP likes to idle at about 60C with both fans chugging along at 2000rpm.

Try resetting the SMC a few times. Is there any kind of fan control app running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.