38 vs 42

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by solarguy17, May 4, 2015.

1. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I wanted to see what people thought the differences between the 38 watch was compared to the 42. Besides the obvious screen size difference

How much harder is the screen to read as a result of the size?
    How much difference is then battery life?
    Any other major difference?

I will say for me the disappointment with the 38 has to do with no leather loop band available. That's my favorite band but not available to use with the watch I'm getting.
    I could move up to the 42 but the watch is to big and covers my whole wrist, it's not comfortable.

So if your family has both watches, what differences have you noticed? Better or worse.

2. Geckoking macrumors member

I have both size 38mm and 42mm sport watch.

When i tried the 38mm at the store it was so small and it looked like a ladies watch. I knew then and there that i wanted the 42mm. I received the 38mm on launch day and couldn't wait for my 42mm so i opened it and played with it. As i wore it and played with it, the watch did seem small but it did kind of grew on me. However, i showed people and co workers and they all said "man that is a small watch" it almost felt embarrassing. The watch looked good on me if i was wearing a longsleeve or dress shirt. In a T-shirt or polo, it looked too small. Then 5 days later i received my 42mm and at first the watch felt big because i just got used to the 38mm. But now i know i made the right decision and it feels and fits perfect.

The 42mm has a better battery life and the screen size makes a big differencce. on the 38mm i can hardly do the heartbeat because the screen was so small, on the 42mm i have no problems.

3. Kent01 macrumors 6502

38mm Space Grey Sport user here. I have no issue viewing any content or tapping anything on the screen. Everything is crisp and vivid in terms or text, images and icons.

Attached Files:

4. RogerEast macrumors regular

From another thread:

I'm a guy.

I own the 38mm.

I love the 38mm.

Never considered the 42mm. Just too big for me.

And no, it isn't too small to 'do things on,' seeing as I've been 'doing things' on my Watch for days.

It'd be nice if people understood there really isn't a 'one size fits all' with the Watch. Hence the release of two different sizes. The 38mm is absolutely perfect for me. If Apple discontinued it for whatever reason and made 42mm the minimum, there's absolutely zero chance I'd upgrade.

Measure your wrist. Use that credit card thread, which is amazingly accurate. Then decide what works for you. There is no 'right or wrong' watch. Only the one that's right or wrong for you personally.

Long live the 38mm. And the 42mm, for those who prefer it.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I have only the 38mm but tried on the 42mm. I have no issues with the screen, and think the 38mm is a better fit. It is actually fairly large for a watch. It's only been the last few years where traditional manufacturers have gotten into this watch-the-size-of-a-hockey-puck thing.

6. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

What size is your wrist?

7. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

I think it's important to note that the 42mm does not show more information, it shows the same information just larger.

It's purely a size thing for how it fits your wrist. You aren't going to sit on your watch and use the apps or read the news like you may do on your phone. It's for quick glances and both sizes do that equally well.

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I got the 42 and I think it's a good size for me but I seriously considered the 38, as I like smaller watches. I haven't seen the 38 in person and I was actually afraid to order the 42 thinking it was going to be too big. I am pleasantly surprised by the size of the 42. I have no regrets.

Attached are pictures of my favorite Seiko and my :apple:Watch. I think the size is pretty similar.

Attached Files:

9. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I knew the amount of data displayed was the same. I was more concerned about legibility of that data being a bit smaller. But it sounds like it isn't an issue.

Any thoughts about comparisons between battery life?

10. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I guess your co-workers really got to you.

11. gteska macrumors member

The 38 mm screen is a little difficult to read things like the temperature complication on some watch faces. Other than that the screen is super.

12. Kent01 macrumors 6502

150mm I THINK

It's nearly been a month since I measured. I used my mothers tailoring tape which was flexible and converted the measurement. I have no way of measuring currently :|