Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Any tips on battery maintenance for the iPod touch? I've been reading up on this and there are a number of different opinions. Some say to let fully drain then full recharge every month, others say every week.

I usually have mine plugged into iTrip in car so this keeps it topped up so I need to know when to do a full drain/charge cycle.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
My advice is to read this site and discount whatever else you may have been told.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

:)

It's a L-i battery, right? So according to this, you should keep it in the freezer and never use it so capacity is always at 40% :rolleyes:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

But seriously, here's the money quote:

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
My experience with iPods (The Touch is my 4th, I had the very first "Square" model), is that you should charge, and charge often. ABC - Always Be Charging. Seems to keep the thing going strong.

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
My experience with iPods (The Touch is my 4th, I had the very first "Square" model), is that you should charge, and charge often. ABC - Always Be Charging. Seems to keep the thing going strong.
That's what I like to hear, especially as I have mine frequently connected to iTrip.

I assume that I can use the wall charger I used for my old iPod nano? This isn't an official Apple charger, but one of the cheaper ones that you can get on eBay.

Hydramus

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
That's what I like to hear, especially as I have mine frequently connected to iTrip.

I assume that I can use the wall charger I used for my old iPod nano? This isn't an official Apple charger, but one of the cheaper ones that you can get on eBay.

Yeah, should be perfectly fine with the wall charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.