Battery maintenance

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blueharvester, Nov 2, 2007.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

Any tips on battery maintenance for the iPod touch? I've been reading up on this and there are a number of different opinions. Some say to let fully drain then full recharge every month, others say every week.

I usually have mine plugged into iTrip in car so this keeps it topped up so I need to know when to do a full drain/charge cycle.

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

3. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

It's a L-i battery, right? So according to this, you should keep it in the freezer and never use it so capacity is always at 40% :rolleyes:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

But seriously, here's the money quote:

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

4. gowanis macrumors 6502

My experience with iPods (The Touch is my 4th, I had the very first "Square" model), is that you should charge, and charge often. ABC - Always Be Charging. Seems to keep the thing going strong.

5. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I like to hear, especially as I have mine frequently connected to iTrip.

I assume that I can use the wall charger I used for my old iPod nano? This isn't an official Apple charger, but one of the cheaper ones that you can get on eBay.

6. Hydramus macrumors member

Yeah, should be perfectly fine with the wall charger.

7. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Great thank you.