3870 in G5 Quad?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macsForLife, Jul 8, 2008.

1. macsForLife macrumors member

macsForLife

Hi, I'm new here, so please don't flame me too much, haha. The title speaks for itself, I have found an incredible deal on a used G5 quad, and I noticed that the 3870 specs don't specifically list having a mac pro as a req., and also that it does automatically scale down to PCI-E 1 instead of 2.0. Does this mean that it could work? I would like maybe a little more performance then what is provided by the X1900.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I believe it should, as long as your running Leopard 10.5.2 you should be good to go.

ive flashed a few video cards for my G5 1.8 Single CPU that were PC and and recent MacPro cards and working fine under Leopard atleast.

3. macsForLife thread starter macrumors member

macsForLife

it is running leopard, i wish somebody would take the plunge and try it. Oh wait, nobody has them yet because they aren't shipping for a while. :rolleyes:

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Are you saying you are running Mac Pro PCIe cards in a PM G5 PCIe model system?

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think you have to flash it for Open Firmware / PPC first, me thinks... :confused:

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'll be the first to say... never. Wont work. Not unless you can convince someone at ATI to write legacy PPC firmware for it.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

There is a small chance it could work as a secondary card though. I contacted Rob from BareFeats and hes going to try it out and report back. :D

8. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

No, there is no chance at all of any kind that it will work in a G5. There is no bios to run it on a PPC system and no system drivers to use it. The X1900 is the most powerful card as you will ever get in the G5 unless you fork over a grand and a half for the Quadro FX 4500.

PCI/AGP and PCI-Express are very different technologies. What worked for PCI/AGP will not work in the more modern PCI-e.

9. macsForLife thread starter macrumors member

macsForLife

The G5 quad does have PCI-E, so that's why I asked. Of course I know that it won't work in an AGP slot. But the dual core G5s have PCI-E.