3870 X2 1GB on a 2007 Mac Pro in Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Og Oggilby, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Is it possible to run an ATI 3870 X2 1GB as the only video card on a 2007 mac pro if it is only used as a Windows machine?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I believe that you have to have an OS X card to boot into so as to be able to get past the EFI bootloader and get to Windows. It's possible to use a 3870 x2 in a Mac Pro, I just think that you have to have an OS X card.

3. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. So I could pick up a 7300GT (I have the 1900XT) and run it with a 3870?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm fairly sure that would work. Mind, I don't have a 3870 x2, or a Mac Pro for that matter, but Mercurial Oxide runs one in his (2008) and I don't think that he's had much difficulty...

5. pipomolo42 macrumors member

Hi,

For your info, I have a 2006 Mac Pro with a PC only 8800GTS card, and it works fine as a Windows/Linux machine.

You might want to keep a Mac OS X installation somewhere, to be able to do firmware updates, if any is available.

1/ using a EFI/Mac OS X card, install rEFIt, and configure it to boot your legacy OS first
    2/ remove the EFI/OS X card, install your PC only card.
    3/ reboot. The screen will stay blank during the EFI phase, but the PC vgabios will get executed once rEFIt boots the bootcamp EFI App

You can then chainload to a BIOS GRUB or LILO, to have a second boot selector, to choose among your different BIOS based OSes

If a firmware update is available for your machine, just plug the EFI/Mac OS card instead of the PC one, and reboot to Mac OS X through rEFIt's menu