38mm Saphire Glass Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by powerbook911, Mar 16, 2016.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My 42mm SS sapphire glass screen (fingers crossed) still looks very good.

However, I was giving a quick clean to my significant other's watch tonight and I found her screen has a small scratch in the "curved" section of the sapphire glass. From what I have seen, I'm harder on the watch than her.

Has anyone noticed any small scratches developing in the curved portion of the SS watch screen?

Thanks! It doesn't look too bad if it doesn't get more, so thats good! :)

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You might be harder on the AW, but does she have a diamond ring? ;)

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So far not even a small scratch on mine and I have banged it into all type of hard objects.

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well on the same hand that would be a challenge, but I get the point to that the right thing could happen even if someone is in general more careful than I am.

I was just very surprised to see it because I figured the SS would get a scuff or whatnot long before the sapphire screen ever did.

It was on this curved section and I know people have claimed on regular glass iPhones the curve section sometimes gets the scratches first, I don't know.

5. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I've only had mine since early November but mine's good. It'll get a true test this spring/summer as I work outside. Everytime I think I have small scratch I can usually scrape it off with my finger nail but its mostly been covered by my sleeves/jacket. But I'm very satisfied with how it's (and the sport band) held up to everything.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It's still in pristine condition. I've banged it so many times into walls and other objects. Still not a scratch on it. It's worth the money over the sports model imo.

7. Shikaka macrumors regular

My watch is a SBSS.

I have 2 microscratches running the entire length of the sapphire screen, including the curved portions.

These scratches are really faint and cannot be seen under normal, indoor lighting. I just happened to see them while checking the time on a sunny day. At first I thought they were spider webs and tried to wipe them away.

Someone told me it might be the screen's oleophobic coating. I could imagine an OCD person being really bothered by it.

8. nicho macrumors 68000

What band does she have?

Also you can call me out for being weird but I can't pick up the watch easily into perfect "putting on" grip from a surface, with one hand. I instinctively pick it up with my left and place it in my right hand and then put it on the left wrist. Perhaps your other half does the same?

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Not sure why you feel the 38mm would scratch more than the 42mm. At least that is what your thread title implies - that it might "hold up" differently to the 42mm.

10. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    You may be seeing what looks like a scratch, but it could be part of whatever came in contact with the sapphire, not actually a scratch. I had that happen years ago with my automatic watch, after working on one of my cars, seeing a huge "scratch" across the surface. I was so bummed out, but after fussing with it, realized it was not actually a scratch and came clean after scrubbing it with a non-scratch abrasive kitchen sponge. Sapphire is about as scratch resistant as you can get, other than compared to diamonds, so seeing scratches without your significant other telling you she just purposely hacked at it with her diamond or a diamond tipped file, it's not likely in the sapphire itself.

The other thing it could be is a scratch on the oleophobic coating, not the sapphire.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is probably the case. I doubt the sapphire is actually scratched.

12. NikkiAngel macrumors newbie

I completely shattered mine and had to replace the glass. It fell from a nightstand into a tile floor. The corner not only cracked, but completely shattered the whole face. Pieces of glass were flaking off, and obviously it was unwearable until I got it fixed. I was shocked that I broke in that manner, since I feel like I have hit it accidentally on doors and walls harder than the force of when it hit the floor from the nightstand.

13. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Sapphire is not un-breakable and will, as you experienced, shatter if hit just right. But it is nearly un-scratchable.

14. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

At least a sapphire AW screen is easier to replace than a sapphire crystal on a mechanical watch. For those, you really should remove and disassemble the movement, clean it up to ensure no crystal fragments remain to get caught between the gears, then lube and reassemble.

15. nicho macrumors 68000

While with an Apple Watch, if the customer has no AppleCare, it's the customer who must lube up and prepare to be shafted by Apple with such a relatively high repair cost ;)