38mm SS Classic feels heavy vs. sport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iWot, May 1, 2015.

1. iWot macrumors member

First, I know that SS is heavier than Aluminum and that classic buckle is lighter than the sport band.

What surprised is how strikingly heavier the watch feels overall. The sport felt like I wasn't wearing anything where the SS feels a little uncomfortable for exercise.

I'm now debating which to keep - does anyone have similar dilemma?

I haven't tried using the SS with the sport band yet to see if that makes a difference in the feel.

2. aguyinokc macrumors member

"Halp, I can't decide whether to wear my $400 watch or $650 watch. "

-OP

3. iWot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the helpful comment. :)

4. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

"does anyone have similar dilemma?"

I'll let you know in June

5. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I wasn't sure which pizza I wanted tonight so I ordered a few different ones and will be sending back the ones I decide not to eat. The obnoxiousness of this kind of behavior aside, I am curious about the weight difference and if it's a factor for those who've tried both types on.

6. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm really surprised you notice a difference. The weight difference is negligible. Keep the one you like better and don't worry about what it weights.

7. iWot thread starter macrumors member

You're calling my behavior obnoxious after making a childish post like this? Pot meet kettle.

8. aguyinokc macrumors member

I was joking... kind of. I ran with an old Garmin for a while, you adjust.

9. cruzmisl macrumors regular

Go with your gut. I really like the feel of my sport. It is the perfect weight and I don't notice it is there unless I am looking at it. When I wore heavier SS watches I always knew I had them on.

10. iWot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks this is exactly what I mean. I did try it with the sport band and it felt a little better (the sport band is just super comfortable), but the weight was still there.

The only reason I'm hesitating is I would prefer the sapphire screen since I bang watches to hell.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

12. iWot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks this is helpful. I think the issue is weight distribution. If you look at the link the SS case is 40g while the Sport case is 25g - half as heavy. The Sport band is heavier than the classic, but the band wraps around your arm and if anything balances against the case.

13. JayLenochiniMac, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That could very well be a factor if you like to wear it loose. Your perception is skewed due to the differing ratio of unsprung weight to sprung weight.

14. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

My 42mm Milanese felt pretty odd on my wrist when I first put it on. The actual watch casing has some weight, so compared to my Pebble, I was very aware of it.
    After wearing it for an hour, I'm now used to it.

Pick whichever you like the look/price of better and just leave it on your wrist for a week; the weight will no longer bother you.

15. jigzaw, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015