Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

should I get the 42mm or 38mm

• Total voters

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
FYI, here are two 42 mm case watches (OK, one is a cutout) Wrist size is about 177mm. Most watches I know of quote the bezel diameter rather than the case size. The Apple, of course, is almost all crystal.

Still might go 42 for readability and battery, but will look at the 38 in real life before I order.

FBFD1413-7539-4020-9B10-6C636F08C439_zpsy0r49ica.jpg

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
:confused::confused::confused:
I am 37 this month, my wrist is about 7" (177mm) and I currently own 2 Burberry watches (40 and 44mm) and an Omega Speedmaster (42mm) and all 3 look good on my wrist, but the 42 is the perfect size. Granted all of those are circle faces, but I can't see myself getting a 38", especially when looking at the straps.

Wow I have to retract my statement. I just printed out the templates and the 42" looks tremendous on my wrist! I guess since all of my other watches are round dials, they don't appear as bulky. I think I am going with the 38" now...at least it's $50 cheaper :)

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
:confused::confused::confused:

Wow I have to retract my statement. I just printed out the templates and the 42" looks tremendous on my wrist! I guess since all of my other watches are round dials, they don't appear as bulky. I think I am going with the 38" now...at least it's $50 cheaper :)

I have to admit, cutting out the template has me rethinking the size too. I think I will wait until Apple has some stock to look at.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I have to admit, cutting out the template has me rethinking the size too. I think I will wait until Apple has some stock to look at.

I think there is something wrong with the way the template is printing. It's way too large. I didn't scale to page, I said scale 100% but they are showing up too big. I printed them using Chrome.

Edit: Printing from browser ill make the template way bigger than it should. You must print them by saving the image to your desktop and using Preview.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
42mm. One of the guys at the Verge who wears a traditional watch said the 42mm appeared a little small to him.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I think there is something wrong with the way the template is printing. It's way too large. I didn't scale to page, I said scale 100% but they are showing up too big. I printed them using Chrome.

Edit: Printing from browser ill make the template way bigger than it should. You must print them by saving the image to your desktop and using Preview.

Actually, I printed it and them measured it to confirm the dimensions. However, there is one really important aspect these cutouts do not include, and that is the curvature of the case. Rounded edges will go a long way to making it appear smaller. Can't wait to see the real thing! Really hope they don't go on backorder for a month like the phones always do . . .

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Actually, I printed it and them measured it to confirm the dimensions. However, there is one really important aspect these cutouts do not include, and that is the curvature of the case. Rounded edges will go a long way to making it appear smaller. Can't wait to see the real thing! Really hope they don't go on backorder for a month like the phones always do . . .

Just get up in the middle of the night like me to order :) The good thing is there is SO many different combinations they sell, I don't see most of them selling out within hours. I have a feeling the Sport Black and SS Black will sell first, and then the SS Steel bands to follow next. Those seem to be the 4 that are most popular to this point based on polls

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
hmm 165mm here, I am pretty sure I don't want the 42mm watch. Shoot I'm not sure I want an apple watch at all yet lol.

Might do the SS with the black rubber strap, or a blue sport, or a black sport. Or maybe I'll just get disenchanted and buy nothing. Or a pebble. Not sure yet. The leather straps cost too much and I have a zinc allergy so the metal straps would be a very annoying mess.

To the OP, I think both look really silly because you're wearing printed pieces of paper lol. I think both will probably look fine.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
42mm. One of the guys at the Verge who wears a traditional watch said the 42mm appeared a little small to him.

Nilay wears huge, gaudy watches and bracelets... I would take his comments on the 42mm "appearing small" with a grain of salt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 339

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Hey guys, I thought it'd be cool if we had a Fit Check MEGA THREAD for everyone in here (probably most of us) who is trying to decide which size to pre-order.

One picture would have been enough.
Also stop making such a firm fist :rolleyes: Are you trying to punch someone :rolleyes:?

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
I'm 6'1 and a pretty big guy by build so 42mm will most likely suit me.

I'm 6'5 of similar build. The 42mm on my wrist looks like the 38mm on the OPs wrist. :eek:

Yup, I fall somewhere in-between. I'm 6'2 and also a big guy. Without even putting the 38mm on I know it would look small. My current watches fall between 40mm to 44mm and i'm really happy with those sizes on my wrist.

If the Apple Watch were say 47mm or larger, I think it would look absolutely silly on the vast majority of people (although at 6'5 iamMacPerson, a larger size may be better suited for you). There is a trend right now with people wearing oversized watches (Nilay Patel from the Verge is a prime example...lol) so I can understand why some people would think 42mm looks small.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Oof, printing out the sizes has just cost me £50! Was all in with the 38mm, but it looks waaay smaller than expected on my wrist. Admittedly, a flat piece of paper is hardly representative but still, I'm genuinely surprised how small the 38mm looks, not to mention how teeny the screen will be as a result.

42mm unquestionably now.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
help my decide my size by judging wrist. (38mmvs42mm)

--> with current watch http://imgur.com/a/kWost
--> with 38mmvs42mm cutouts put on wrist http://imgur.com/a/jcBTY
update: i will be getting sport verison.

hello i made my mind on getting 42mm based on printouts long ago ever since they announced it back last year. Since 38mm looks too small comparing to my gshock. what should you guys think i should get? 38mm or 42mm.

lets be honest i do have small wrist and skinny person with long hands and 6.1 height. that being aside i have attached few pics of my wrist with my gshock on and i do think its perfect for my wrist ,wore it for past 3 years or so now and still wearing it.

and no i dont know what size or what mm is my gshock sorry. its gshock7900.

left is 38mm middle is 42mm and right is my current gshock watch with also few pics of it on my wrist:apple::eek:

Last edited:

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
It's really hard to tell based on these pictures. It would be a lot easier if you cut out the Apple Watch template strips and put them around your wrist. Also, have you measured the circumference of your wrist (in mm)?

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Going by the pics, definitely 42, but what's your wrist size? Very important when it comes to available bands you could wear. the decision could be made for you, just by your wrist size!!

http://imgur.com/a/kWost

hello i made my mind on getting 42mm based on printouts long ago ever since they announced it back last year. Since 38mm looks too small comparing to my gshock. what should you guys think i should get? 38mm or 42mm.

lets be honest i do have small wrist and skinny person with long hands and 6.1 height. that being aside i have attached few pics of my wrist with my gshock on and i do think its perfect for my wrist ,wore it for past 3 years or so now and still wearing it.

and no i dont know what size or what mm is my gshock sorry. its gshock7900.

left is 38mm middle is 42mm and right is my current gshock watch with also few pics of it on my wrist:apple::eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.