39 GB Virtual Memory?

CyberEv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I've got a 1.83 MBP and Leopard seems to be running a little laggy... for some reason, it shows a 39+ GB Virtual Memory, when it was usually 7-9 GB in Tiger. Is this weird?

foosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
I don't think "that's leopard" is a useful response without first getting a little more information.

This same problem has happened to me; leopard starts going very slow and the disk is grinding a lot, writing tons of ??? to virtual memory.

Have you seen which process is responsible? Open Activity Monitor when the system starts "lagging" like you report, and see if the process "mds" (metadata server??) is responsible.

For me, that has been the problem. It has happened when opening some non-leopard apps; Adium for example.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Comment

cell-gfx

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Had the same problem. mdworker is related to Spotlight indexing. When you first start Leopard, depending on your HDD size(s), it will take a while (and a lot of CPU) to index everything.

Personally, I had to disable indexing on my USB2 HDD, as it kept hanging at around 50% indexed.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Mines 46GB's.

Funny, I've only got 29GB's of hard drive space available. I haven't noticed any slowdowns, or anything though.

Maybe that is the maximum possible VM available..? Not the VM that is in use?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.