Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Yes, another computer speakers thread.
I've did a search and decided to look into the following spakers based on my <$150 budget:

LogiTech Z-2300
Klipsch Premedia 2.1
Klpsch Ultra 2.0
Harmon Kardon Soundstick II
Swan M10
Swan M200 (over budget by $75)
Bose Companion 2
Bose Companion 3 (over budget by $100)

My priorities were 1) Music 2) Movies and 3) Games.
My taste are pop, jazz, r&b, and rap.
My home theaters are NHT speakers and my car has Boston Acoustics/JL Audio.

With the above in mind, my opinion (and I emphasize opinion) as follows:

Z-2300 - Great price. Can play loud without distortion. However, as some has mentioned, no midrange and muddy bass. Great for gaming but not so much for music.

Klipsch 2.1 - Could not listen as not hooked up by 3 stores I visited. I'll have to find a store but I really don't like the appearance (I'm willing to live with it if the sound is great as some have posted).

Klipsch 2.0 - Actually listened using Imac at Applestore. Lot of distortion, muddy sound. Definite No.

Harmon Kardon - I also listened this speaker with Imac. Cool design. Price is in budget. However, no midrange and muddy bass. The satellite speaker also looked flimsy to the point that it might break (again my opinion and no fact here).

Swan M10 - No store to demo. Read about it and it appears to be my type of speakers. Pricing is good also and beautiful looking speakers. Problem is where to put the 5" sub that needs to be at center?????? I definitely do not want to prop up my Imac higher than it is.

Swan M200 - Because of issue with M10 center sub, this is definitely the better option. But the pricing is quite above my budget and I have no opportunity to listen. Not to mention the actual warranty and support structure has been questioned by some reviewers.

Bose Companion 2 - I have generally are very skeptic about Bose not because they don't built good product but they overprice their product to cover their marketing costs. With that said, I was not impressed with Companion 2. Price is ok but the sound was bit muddy and no bass.

Bose Companion 3 - Again, I'm coming from Bose skeptic but I hate to say it but this is the best speakers of this group. It provided fairly wide sound stage, natural sound, with good balance with the bass (punchy rather than loud without overpowering the satellite). If the price was in my budget, this is what I would get. I'm still debating if this is worth the $150 premium over Z-2300.

So I haven't decided which speakers yet.
I know some of you may say that some of the above speakers can be adjusted using equalizer/software but what I'm looking for is speakers that sounds natural with minimal adjustments.

Is there any other speakers that I should consider in this price range?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't heard them, but the Altec Lansing FX6021 have been very positively reviewed by different web sites. It is just a bit over your budget from Amazon-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&coliid=I27FVAFPUARA9Z&colid=4TKB0NAPE0EZ

Thanks for your feedback on all the speaker systems. I will be looking for one at some point, and was considering some of your choices (especially the Soundsticks.)

Have you listened to the JBL 2.1 systems? They are a bit cheaper and probably inferior, but they have 3 or 4 different sets IIRC.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Both Klipsch sets are excellent. Dunno what was wrong with hookup of the set you listened to but they are NOT distorted and muddy - we use a pair of Ultra 2.0s hooked up to the VCR for watching movies. Just scored a Klipsch 2.1 set for half price :) which will go into use for the movie system.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Forgot to add- I own a Klipsch iFi which has an iPod dock but also has an additional regular input as well (it might actually be 2 line-ins).

I got it at Costco last year for $150, they were originally $400. Great system if you can find it for that price.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Both Klipsch sets are excellent. Dunno what was wrong with hookup of the set you listened to but they are NOT distorted and muddy - we use a pair of Ultra 2.0s hooked up to the VCR for watching movies. Just scored a Klipsch 2.1 set for half price :) which will go into use for the movie system.

All the above speakers that I had a chance to listen to had proper hookups,
as some of them required me to trouble shoot, especially at the Applestore (loose wire, volume set incorrectly, etc.)

I was surprised about Klipsch being not so good considering the positive review so for the Klipsch Ultra 2.0, I listened to two different Imacs with two different Ultra. Both were not good.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I take your advices seriously...

and I put my money where my mouth is (or in this case my keyboard:))

I have placed an order for Altec Lansing FX6021 without actually listening to it.
I took your advice and read several other reviews.
This speaker fits exactly with my priorities (music first).
I happen to like the design.
I went over only $20 above my budget as Dell Home had this on sale with free shipping (CA tax included).

I will report back once I get this speaker and had chance to experience these speakers. I will give you guys "report card" on your recommendation:p.

Thanks for your help.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
and I put my money where my mouth is (or in this case my keyboard:))

I have placed an order for Altec Lansing FX6021 without actually listening to it.
I took your advice and read several other reviews.
This speaker fits exactly with my priorities (music first).
I happen to like the design.
I went over only $20 above my budget as Dell Home had this on sale with free shipping (CA tax included).

I will report back once I get this speaker and had chance to experience these speakers. I will give you guys "report card" on your recommendation:p.

Thanks for your help.

Good to hear! I've been looking at speaker sets similar to what you're doing (in both price and performance) for a while now, and so far the Logitech Z-2300 was what I was thinking of going for, but I want to see what you have to say about the FX6021's.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Will do.

Like noted above, z-2300 is good speaker for gaming and movies with good pricing but it just wasn't meant for music.

I'll post my impression once I get the speakers.

It was shipped today so I should get it next week.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Listening to speakers in stores (very bad conditions, but you take what you can get) I thought the FX6021 were the clear winner between said models (I sampled many of the same ones). Agreed about the Z-2300, mostly good just very lacking midrange for music (same with their Z-5500, sound GREAT with movies and games but not so much with audio CDs). Been a happy owner of the FX6021's for a while.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I can personally comment on the M200's. They will sound great for Jazz. These are great speakers if you want nice smooth sound without having tons of bass or a sub pounding under your desk.

The warranty issue is a little inconvenient, but if you get in contact with the good people over at the Audioinsider.com, they will replace your unit with no questions asked. They basically perform all Swan warranties in the US.

I also believe Newegg and Audioinsider sells the M200's for $199 which is a great deal.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
For those who recommended FX6021, your grade is.....

F:mad:

ok...not a fair assessment.
I got the FX6021 today but it was a DOA.
Sub worked, remote worked, but no sound from the satellite speakers.
Yes, I connected all correctly. My guess is the amp used for satellite is bad.

Replacement on its way.

Will regrade when I get the replacement speakers.......

On a side note, it did look pretty cool next to my 24" Imac.

pianoplayer1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2005
New York
F:mad:

ok...not a fair assessment.
I got the FX6021 today but it was a DOA.
Sub worked, remote worked, but no sound from the satellite speakers.
Yes, I connected all correctly. My guess is the amp used for satellite is bad.

Replacement on its way.

Will regrade when I get the replacement speakers.......

On a side note, it did look pretty cool next to my 24" Imac.

Awww, I wanted to see what you thought.

My soundsticks are coming in a little while - they are in transit.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Of those you listed I don't think you can beat the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set. They are fantastic speakers for the price - which was $99 at BB last week. :( Either way, I hope you enjoy whatever you went with.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I'll post my review once I receive the replacement unit.
It should be here no later than next week.

I do like the design of the HK Soundsticks. They are cool looking.

pianoplayer1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2005
New York
Yes the soundsticks are great now that I have them... and a HUGE advantage is that since my desk has a little shelf slightly behind and above my computer, I can put the soundsticks there and angle them to point right at my ears. The extra foot of distance really helps make the soundstage more open and spacious.

Edit: by the way I found a good site for testing speakers and their placementhttp://www.eminent-tech.com/music/multimediatest.html

VespR

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
acoustic energy aego 2.1

the best 2.1 speakers money can buy from a real hifi company :cool:

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
Although this is a little more pricey, get these speakers because they are absolutely wonderful IMO. I just received mine yesterday - WOW!

Logitech z5500 Digital Speakers

z5500-4.png

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
my review

A

Dell was very quick to send the replacement speakers. So quick that they forgot to include the return label :)mad:).

All I can say is WOW! This is exactly the speaker I was looking for.

1.jpg

Neatly packed
packing.jpg

The sub (don't mind the wires. I was anxious to get it fired up).
Lansing%20sub.jpg

The satellite
satellite.jpg

The control center. Notice how nicely it matches with Imac :)
controller.jpg

The total package (ignore the wires again....):D
my%20imac.jpg

The looks was secondary but it sure looks great!

Now the sound.

First thing I noticed is that the satellite is well balanced with the sub. I didn't have to adjust the treble or bass much.

Second thing I noticed is that these satellite dispurses the sound very well. So well that I can't seem to localize it, even though they're pointed right at me. Very impressive.

Third, although some have reported sub is not the strong suit, it's strong enough. I can make my built in desk rattle if I wish:)

Fourth, the control unit and the remote that it came with (not pictured) is a very nice touch.

I can't be happier. The only concern I have is reliability since the first one came DOA (definitely bad amp for the satellite).

Thanks again for your help!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I can't be happier. The only concern I have is reliability since the first one came DOA (definitely bad amp for the satellite).
I ordered a different model of Altec Lansing speakers for someone a few years ago from Newegg which arrived partially broken (one of the satellites didn't work at all). The replacement pair have been working fine ever since then. My own FX6021's have been reliable for the year+ that I've had them.

For what it's worth, in investigating the Klipsh ProMedia 2.1's, an alarming number of reviews complained about them going bad (broken amp I think) after not too long — one of the reasons that contributed to my not buying them. Though I'm sure there are just that many more happy owners out there.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Anyone have Altec Lansing VS2421? I heard it at my retail store that I work at and it sounds SO GOOD. I just wanna hear your feedback. I am seriously thinking of getting that for my iMac.

dL

Edgewiser

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
The search for best pc speakers continues...

Midorix,

I was wondering how your Altec's sound a week or two later as your ears habituate to them and they wear in.

BTW, congratulations on doing your research well enough to have come up with a reasonable list of contenders.

If only more folks that owned the Swans or Acoustic Energy would post a detailed review.

I am returning my z2300 to Dell. Despite their seemingly great price, the z2300s are all boom boom with almost no midrange, all woof and no tweet etc. I am amazed that so few people posting on the logitechs even notice this. Maybe we are all too immersed in Halo to care about Mozart, but all sound has a spectrum which these subwoofer bargain speakers seem to ignore. They are designed to give gamers and movie watchers "bang" for their buck at the expense of auditory accuracy and richness.

I am even wondering if 2.1 is the answer. 2.0 speakers can often do significantly better as pc speakers.

Anyway, I know there's a near-perfect solution, but I also know for anyone with unabused ears, neither Klipsch or Logitech cut it. I continue to believe that good speakers exist for under $200 that can handle gracefully music, movies and games. But where are they?

Don't forget to post how your listening experience evolves with the Altecs. I might just emulate your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.