3am - 5am maintenance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noodlz1472, Feb 18, 2009.

1. noodlz1472 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I heard that macs should be kept on 24/7 especially bc there is system maintenance that occurs from 3am - 5am. My question is, if I leave my computer on and it is in sleep mode during this time, does the maintenance still occur? If so, is there any pop-up that would show what's taking place?

Please let me know - Thanks!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In OS X Leopard these scripts are now scheduled using a technology (launchd) that is no longer dependent on the computer being on that those specified times. If a computer is not running at the times the scripts will automatically run the next time the computer is started or wakes from sleep.

For older versions, check out MacJanitor to run scripts at your convenience. You can also run them from Terminal.app

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

3. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Is there an article you can send me regarding this? Everything I'm coming across is saying that the maintenance is still necessary.

Thanks.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#2

Onyx will tell you the last time the scripts were run. As I let my computer sleep overnight, Onyx reports that the scripts were run around 6:30 am, which is the time I wake up my computer most days.

5. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much. That article was very helpful...