3ccd still a good option?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ehoms, May 22, 2007.

1. ehoms macrumors newbie

Hi, i got a sony hc40 wich is about to die and im ready to get a new camera, i do mostly funny videos to show my friends, but im really into gadgets and i like having the newest things even when i dont need them (i know im wrong but i cant help it), at the moment i edit my videos with a 17' 1.67 powerbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 17' core duo iMac with also 2 gigs of ram.

The thing is, should I get a 3ccd camera (im thinking panasonic PV GS320) or go with an HD camera like the hv20 or sony hc7? Im planing on buying a MacPro in the next couple of months, but i dont think im going to be doing any HD soon, but it would be nice to be a little future-proof, what do you guys think?
    Are the hv20 and hc7 as good as the GS320 when recording in SD?
    Money is not a problem .

Thanks in advance.

2. ibglowin macrumors regular

Still no way to Burn an HD disc really

3CCD has superior color over a single CCD any day. If you don't see yourself jumping into HD soon, I would get the Panny and keep it for a couple of years until we have better support for HD burning. The single chip HD cams have sharp PQ but the color is somewhat lacking. Make sure you stay away from anything but a MiniDV or MiniHDV as iMovie can't handle the DVD cams or even Hard Drive Cams.

If you go with a single chip CCD make sure to get the biggest CCD they make. Usually they have 2 models, one with a slightly larger CCD.

3. thenick512 macrumors newbie

its kinda tough to compare the gs320 and the hv20. It depends how much you want to spend. I almost bought the gs320 but decided on the gs500 for lots of reasons. at the same time I bought the gs500 the canon hv10 and hv20 were also in my price range but lack of manual focus ring made a huge difference for me. I owned the hv10 for roughly 2 days, the colors and picture was amazing but I hated the way the camera felt. If the hv20 came with a manual focus ring I would be shooting with that camera right now. I think if you don't care about the manual focus ring and you have the cash I would go for the hv20, the picture that I have seen some out of that camera is more like a 2-3 thousand dollar camera.

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/
    This is a great board, lots of information, lots of good helpful people and you can use the search to check out what other people have said about these cams.

4. ehoms thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys for the replies.

right now im leaning towards the gs320 as i dont think im going to be doing any HD at the moment and i still need some portability.But.... if i record in SD on the HV20, will I see much diference between the gs320 and the hv20? If not, i think i would like better the HV 20 so i can start fooling around with HD so im ready when HD becomes the only option.

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

If you have the money, I think an HDV camera with a CMOS chip would be the way to go. Even when you shoot in HD and then scale it down to SD for a DVD or whatever, it looks better than footage shot on an SD camera.

As for color, I'm kind of out of the loop. I have an "old" Sony HDR-HC1 (HDV) camcorder and color wasn't quite comparable to 3CCD, but I think there has been much improvement since then.

So I think you can't go wrong either way (Panasonic or HDV), but if you have the financial resources, I think HDV might do you better in the long run.

6. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

which prosumer cameras are HDV w/ a CMOS chip?

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I believe the entire line of Sony HDR-HC* are CMOS, at least. (There's a huge thread that is very pro-HC3, if you look around.)

8. princigalli macrumors 6502

canon HV20

Hi,
    I have an FX1 and recently just got a Canon HV20. My FX1 is going to Ebay this week. Before purchasing the HV20 I rented a number of cameras to test, including the Panasonic HVX 200 (which sucks) and he V1-E (I live in a PAL region).

The Sony V1-E is fantastic. The Canon HV20 is also fantastic. Here are the main differences in my opinion. Sony has great ergonomics with buttons in all the right places and full manual control. The HV20 is almost impossible to control. There are few buttons, all in the wrong places (the manual/autofocus swich is behind the LCD screen and hard to access when open). There is no gain control and many other features missing.

As for the image, I prefer the Canon HV20. It's one large CMOS against 3 tiny CMOS on the Sony. Honestly I don't know what makes the 3CMOS or 3CCD cameras still attractive.

The lens are better on the Sony. But the Canon lens are excellent. The video compression is better on the Canon. Maybe just my impression but when you pan and zoom, the HV20 shows very little artifacts compared to any HDV cam I know.

The Canon full progressive mode looks great on FCP and stunning once I apply a 1 point blur on the red channel. I can even use the extracted frames as photos and print them. They fool most people because they look like photos taken from consumer cameras.

Finally, in 2007, anyone that gives out more tha n $500 for an interlaced camera is making a big mistake. There is no reason one should accept the face progressive modes on expensive cameras, or worse, non progresive modes at all.

9. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Uh, yeah, the 3CCD cameras will have a better picture than a 1 CMOS chip cam.
    Color, then resolution is the hierarchy of the scale of perception.

Personally, I laughed at the HV20… and the HC1… and even the HVX-200.

The HDV market is pretty lame in general. My clients still request the DVX100 in 24 or 30p for TV content.

I was kinda partial to the Sony HVR-V1U, but without a bluray burner I ain't migratin'.

10. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Finally, by 2007, if an editor doesn't know how to get rid of the interlaced look before output to DVD, they aren't worthy. :rolleyes: