Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snickrep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
I'm looking for 3d/2d apps such as gimp and blender that will work with PowerPC g3 or g4. any ideas? I hear those programs don't support powerPC processors.

snickrep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Perfect. Thanks a lot.

Now, will those programs run on 455-500Mhz g3 powerPc at 256MB of ram?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Perfect. Thanks a lot.

Now, will those programs run on 455-500Mhz g3 powerPc at 256MB of ram?

It's not really about whether they'll run or not, they will (well, Blender needs 8MB of VRAM). It's whether it's worthwhile or not. What shaders are you going to use? What will your polygon count be? And are you going to go all out with it?

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
PPC can handle polys.... VRAM might be a problem using many and large texture bases. Is texture baking included in the powerpc version of blender?

snickrep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Okay, thanks for replies, but I need a 2D editor and 3D app that will work under OS9 on iMac G3. does gimp work under OS9? where can I find a lost of os9 design software? Or maybe where I can purchase older copies of software such as lightwave 3d 5/6 or photoshop 5/6? Or Ray Dream Studio builds?

Please note: Not looking to do heavy work, just basic learning and editing. Low-poly 3D objects. Not animating or heavy renders. Basically using imac g3 to play older games not supported by intel macs and for word processing, basic email with icloud address, and basic internet use.

Last edited:

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Okay, thanks for replies, but I need a 2D editor and 3D app that will work under OS9 on iMac G3. does gimp work under OS9? where can I find a lost of os9 design software? Or maybe where I can purchase older copies of software such as lightwave 3d 5/6 or photoshop 5/6? Or Ray Dream Studio builds?

Please note: Not looking to do heavy work, just basic learning and editing. Low-poly 3D objects. Not animating or heavy renders. Basically using imac g3 to play older games not supported by intel macs and for word processing, basic email with icloud address, and basic internet use.

don't worry about polys... it's the texture map size that might be limiting.
I've worked on objects in blender with hundred of thousands of polys without issues on a single cpu&core G5.

Can't you install tiger or something in that G3? That I think should allow you to run blender3D

FigmentNewtonII

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
I downloaded gimp onto my iMac G4 (1GHz) and when I try to open it the program crashes. Is there a solution to this or do I need to download a different version?

snickrep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
probably a different version. maybe try source forge and try downloading a build that supports powerPC.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell

If you don't mind installing Panther (Tiger, as suggested above, would be better) you can download the entire Adobe CS2 suite directly from Adobe.

Use this link: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

A month ago that was a direct link, but you'll now be prompted to create an account and then click a few times to acknowledge that you've read their warnings about running older software and that you understand that there is no longer any support from Adobe for this package. Then you can download (the activation key is provided on the same page) and be on your way.

Otherwise, I guess Photoshop 6 would be the last version for OS 9? Maybe keep an eye on eBay. It was common for Photoshop 5 or 6 to be packaged with the high end scanners of the day, but sometimes even the entry level models would include a limited version (with the LE moniker). In other words, there are plenty out there, probably many unopened, but maybe also now at an age where people wouldn't think it worth their trouble to try to sell. I remember getting several copies of Photoshop with different things and never opened any of them because I already owned it. Maybe post a wanted ad in the computer section of your local Craigslist? If I run across any of my old copies, I'll PM you and you can have it for free (I believe that I still have one, but I haven't seen it in a while).

Edit: Amazon has Photoshop 5.0 LE for $2.99 new and $1.78 open box.

FigmentNewtonII

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
Also note that X11 needs to be installed.

Gimp version 2.6.11
will install under Leopard on a PowerPC (and I think Tiger too).

It requires X11 v2.1.6 or later. If you installed X11 from an early retail Leopard install disk, it might be too old. You can get the latest version 2.6.3 here (probably the final Leopard release).

Updating X11 did the trick. GIMP is up and running now. Your help is much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.