Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahnzii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
I was able to get Win XP up and running with BootCamp very easily.
I checked out a few of my games on the XT1900 and they looked great, but I knew sound would be a big disappointment since I was used to 5.1 gaming audio on my PC with a Creative X-fi :eek:

Needless to say I did a lot of searching for some 5.1 audio solutions that would work either via USB or Firewire.

I finally settled upon trying the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roadie.

Its very easy to install, just boot to Windows install the CD and connect it when prompted.

Now it came time to test it in some games...wooohooo - - it worked!!! :D

I have tried it in Prey, HL2-Episode 1, Oblivion and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and all of them output 5.1 positional audio. :cool:

And even though the Roadie is a mix of hardware and software for the audio processing, I don't notice any lag in the games and I am running at max resolutions of either 1680x1050 or 1920x1200.

I left task manager minimized on the performance tab so I could flop back to it and check cpu performance. The most I saw was 3 out of the 4 cores were running between 30-60% in Oblivion.

Our 4 cores seems to give us the added cpu overhead to handle this type of audio solution.

If you like your games to have positional audio then you have to give this a try!!
I give it 2 thumbs up ;)

Turtle Beach TBS-1122-01F Audio Advantage Roadie - Retail at Newegg.com

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
This really works??? You really get true Dolby 5.1 from the game?

Wow.... I thought the problem was the fact that the decoding of the Dolby 5.1 to the 6 channels (analog) had to be done on the audio card, and thus all other external decoding wasn't supported.

I agree that Dolby 5.1 is a real added bonus for PC gaming. I loved driving along playing Richard Burns, when you could hear your real wheels spinng or the front wheels slipping or hear the rear end slide if you pull the handbrake.

I just wish Soundblaster would make a PCI-E version of the X-fi series....
Then the Mac Pro would be the ultimatie driving machine! :cool:

jroad

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
Creative Audigy 2 NX

I can confirm that the Creative Audigy 2 NX USB 5.1 works in Windows XP on a Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.