3D Game Engine for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jordz, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Jordz macrumors member

Jordz

What's the best 3D game engine for mac?
    Free, or Commercial, I don't mind

I only perhaps think of 1, Torque, Thats a brilliant game engine, but are there any more good ones, I have searched google, but most aren't that good :(

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

3. Jordz thread starter macrumors member

Jordz

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Probably the best you will find on the Mac. Unity3D has some fantastic features from the look of it although I have only used the demo myself.

5. Shunnabunich macrumors regular

Shunnabunich

I've never managed to put together a 3D game myself (god damn I wish I could code), but as far as things like these go, Unity seems to be relatively simple — you can even write all your scripts in JavaScript if you want. Check out the Showcase section of their forum to see some of the projects that users are working on, or in some cases have finished. Unity does have some drawbacks, such as the audio system not being all that versatile, but the graphics and physics stuff can get pretty sweet, and the Indie (read: less expensive) version can deploy games as OS X standalone apps or web players for the Unity browser plugin, while the Pro version can also deploy as Windows executables besides having other goodies. :D (Disclaimer: I still have a copy of Unity 1.x laying around that I bought a couple of years ago...still waiting to do something someday...sigh)